2213 too much?

Ronskitz

Hey fellow shrimp lovers i am in the process of dividing my 2 foot. Now my question is will an eheim 2213 be too much for a standard 2 footer? If it is too much what if i hooked it up to 2 x 2 footers and how should i set it up? Thanks in advance

ron

2213 will be fine. Im using 2215's on my 2 footers.

Thanks heavy do you use the spray bars still or just straight out the elbow that the spraybar attachs to?

• HOF Member

I use a 2213 for a 30" plus 3 sponge filters and my tank is fine. I use the spray bar to slightly agitate the surface and although the current is strong the shrimp seem fine. Just give them some hiding places to shelter from the current while they are eating . I have mishlings and TB's in that tank.

over kill in filteration is great for any shrimp tanks. Turbulence can be diffused using a spray bar, above the surface, which doubles up for surface agitation, improving 02.....so win win win !

If you use those plastic spraybars that come with the filter, a few more holes drilled along it's length will help diffuse the pressure of the water. You can also reduce turbulence if you face the direction of the holes on the spraybar towards the tank's glass.

+1 to everyone, 2213 is perfect for a 2fter, another way to decrease the power of the spray bar is to drill out the holes & this will reduce the pressure coming out of the spray bar. I drilled out my spray bar & I can hardly see the water movement. :encouragement:

I have a eheim professional 2028 in my 2foot shrimp tank loaded with matrix. Bigger the better!
2028's rock! had mine for 15yrs & never had a problem. :encouragement:
Squiggle got beaten by 2 minutes. :victorious:
Hahaha, yeah you did, although you said more holes & I said bigger holes, both will work very well & yes I am splitting hairs, lol :smiley_simmons:

Yep as mentioned use the spray bars. Depending on the tank, I have drilled out bigger holes, combined two spray bars and even left the end cap off the spray bar. Just trial and error for which configuration works for you.

Also bear in mind that the filter will slow down over time as it gets blocked up, so getting a larger model means that you can get away with less maintainence.

Thanks all for the replies i love this forum you get answers to questions so quick and even if its a dumb question everyone goes out of thier way to help cheers

Ron :)

There's no dumb questions here mate :encouragement: The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked. :victorious:

2028's rock! had mine for 15yrs & never had a problem. :encouragement:

Hahaha' date=' yeah you did, although you said more holes & I said bigger holes, both will work very well & yes I am splitting hairs, lol :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

so correct me if im wrong its a 1000lph filter so that would be turning your tank over at least 30 times in the hour wow

so correct me if im wrong its a 1000lph filter so that would be turning your tank over at least 30 times in the hour wow

Put your shrimp in a glass of water and stir! :smiley_simmons:

Nah, it's a 120L(2x1.5x1.5) tank so it's only turning over about 8 times an hour, which is plenty but I'm a bit fan of over filtering :encouragement:

Generally, I aim for 10x the turnover e.g. eheim 2211 (300 lt) vs 26lt tank, based on filter claimed output vs tank volume....eventually, when system is running, it tends to generally works out to be 7-8 x tunover which I have in the majoirty of my tanks.....there's numerous ways to decrease the outflow / turbulence, BUT no way of increasing turnover...except for adding another filter of course.

Nah' date=' it's a 120L(2x1.5x1.5) tank so it's only turning over about 8 times an hour, which is plenty but I'm a bit fan of over filtering :encouragement:[/quote']

Ah i was thinking a pissy little 30-40 litre

Generally' date=' I aim for 10x the turnover e.g. eheim 2211 (300 lt) vs 26lt tank, based on filter claimed output vs tank volume....eventually, when system is running, it tends to generally works out to be 7-8 x tunover which I have in the majoirty of my tanks.....there's numerous ways to decrease the outflow / turbulence, BUT no way of increasing turnover...except for adding another filter of course.[/quote']

I will keep that in mind when selecting my next tank/ tanks if the mrs doesnt spit it too much haha

• 3 weeks later...

I am running 2x 2213 on my 2ft, it is overkill, but overkill is better than anything as BB said, also having more volume helps when cleaning them, things are more stable.

They can be a bit loud sometimes, but hey, I know they are working :)

Speaking of how loud tanks are i tried to go to sleep the other night and i had just done a water change on my african tank and for got to pull the spray bar out of the water :( a mistake il never do again coz i layed down in bed got comfy and i reckon i could here a pin drop so i had to get up ( which is a mission and a half coz im in a wheelchair) and pull it out again LOL i just couldnt deal with the quiet

Speaking of how loud tanks are i tried to go to sleep the other night and i had just done a water change on my african tank and for got to pull the spray bar out of the water :( a mistake il never do again coz i layed down in bed got comfy and i reckon i could here a pin drop so i had to get up ( which is a mission and a half coz im in a wheelchair) and pull it out again LOL i just couldnt deal with the quiet

The moment I hear a spray bar not under the surface, I tend to rage.

Worst sleeping through it, and waking up next morning busting for the toilet.

But that said, it can be a little therapeutic..

I love the sound the spray bar makes.... Can hear it from my bedroom, so I can sleep comfortably knowing my filter is functioning....everyone else in the house gates it, but they're use to it now. BhahahahhahahaBhahahahhahaha