moving juvi shrimp

ineke

• HOF Member

What would be considered a reasonable size to safely move juvi shrimp from one tank to another. The water conditions are very similar except the ph is lower in the new tank because of the thick layer of benibachi. Would you go by size or age or doesn't it really matter as long as they are acclimatised properly. I have moved 2x 6 week old mishlings today and I guess they are 5mm not any bigger anyway. I am testing them as I wasn't sure if they were too young, but have quite a few to move - a few the same age and size then some 12 days and others 2 days. They are fine where they are but would like to eventually close that tank down so as soon as it is safe I would like to move .

• HOF Member

I'm sorry I just went and read that thread Oh God dont let it be senility setting in just yet:cower: I apologise these seniors moments are lasting weeks:o

• HOF Member

I think I better use the search engine before opening my mouth:D

You know, the other day I had a go at my friend for using the ridiculous made up word "do" in Scrabble ... that was my moment of stupidity for the week! Haha

Search is your friend :P

Anyway, if I was you, id move all the reasonably sized ones. All except the super tiny ones, i'd leave those for a week or 2, but mainly because theyre the hardest to catch :)

• HOF Member

I love scrabble used to play it with Mum and the number of made up words she used was amazing they were half Dutch and half English but she was adamant they were true words!!!

Funny the little ones jump into the net it's hard to get them out!!! I will let the new ones grow a bit before upsetting the tank but I noticed some very small shrimp for sale and thats what made me ask. Some are hardly born and they are for sale all I want to do is move them across the room.

I don't agree with selling them so little... but remember theyre hardier than we thing :encouragement:

• HOF Member

If it was my cherries I wouldn't hesitate but with people saying TB's and Mishlings are not keen on any debris being raised I worry about them. The things that happened to my little cherries in my ignorance prove they are very tough guys indeed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      That shrimp itself survived the molt just fine, but left about half dozen eggs still in the shell. I haven't measured KH in a really long time, but assume it is zero since I don't have any rocks besides a few small pieces of lava rock.  Maybe you have unwanted rocks in your tank?  My tank is the "long" style which I really like because I have a HMF on one end, and a pump outlet spout that shoots water all the way to the other end.  I have no idea how many shimp it can support because I don't really understand waste management in a tank.  Shrimp poop eventually turns into mulm, but then what?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      As at time of this post the SL Aqua is available from this UK website, https://gbeeshrimp.co.uk/product/z1/
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Just in case someone may be looking for the SL Aqua it is available from this UK website at time of this post, https://gbeeshrimp.co.uk/product/z1/  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thats a great photo, beautiful blue bolt, I hope it survived the molt without dropping the eggs! I think I can just about see some black dots (eyes) on the central egg but can't be 100% sure. I used to (and plan to again) do weekly water change of 10-15% but if you do too large or quick (not drip in new water) that would likely trigger a molt. What KH are they in, my new setup is sitting at (and refusing to budge) KH 3 and PH 7.5 so I may have to settle for neocaridina shrimp this time as opposed to the caridina I want, though not looking/deciding just yet, give the tank a bit more of a run in! Tap water here starts at kH 14, tds 320, when filtered goes to KH 0 and PH 6 but when put in the tank keeps going to KH3 and PH 7.5 despite 3 x 50% water changes???? You may be at 'maximum capacity' with only 20L tank especially if the tank is a cube type rather than shallow type?
    • beanbag
      Right now this tank only has blue bolts and golden bee (red bolts?).  The eggs start off all brown, but at the end, I notice that some are kind of a clear pink-ish color.  So I don't know if that is the egg color of dud or golden bee.  Picture of shrimp only about half hour before molting. The water is always RO + remineralizer, so it should be ok. The tank seems to still be on a "good streak" ever since I started the regimen of weekly water change, monthly gravel vac and plant trim.  The point being to keep the amount of waste low and removing moss / floating plants so that the nitrates go towards growing algae.  At one point, I had three berried females, but only netted about half dozen babies by the end, due to this early molting problem.  There might be about 30-40 shrimp total in 5 gallons, but still very few full-sized adults.