Miult still stuck on shrimp what to do??

BiGGiE

Hi all

I have a shrimp thats moulted but the shell is still stuck on its head!

Is this normal? Or if this is a problem how do i save it? Do i leave it or try n pull it off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

whats your water paramaters? I believe a high KH or GH can make the shells too hard and make them harder to shed.

Unfortunately I don'y know what to do about the shell on the shrimp :(

There's probably 2 options....

1. Monitor and leave it, hoping that it'll eventually drop off....

2. Net it out, so it's not freaking out/struggling, and use a tweezer to gently pull it out

If the moult is stuck around its head, especially near the front, I'd go for option 2, as this may affect its breathing/eating etc....

good luck

I had this problem on one of my yellows once and it could not move properly as the shell was stuck at the legs, the other shrimp started attacking this one who was freshly moulted but not fully so I caught it out and with tweezers and small scissors help remove most of the moult so it can freely walk again.

You are dammed is you do and dammed if you don't, If they don't shed all the way, the shell that is stuck will stop the expansion of that body part = deformity or death and on the Head is bad.

With a little Caradina type you will do to much damage by removing it, I have done it to Macrobrachium species with mixed success, but usually on the tail.

If you were on to early you can assist but it will be to late now as it will be hard, as for the cause, water conditions are the usual suspect or something lacking in the diet.

With big shrimp like Macros, if there is not enough room for them to flick hard to get out of the old shell, it to can cause problems to.

Bob

I had this problem on one of my yellows once and it could not move properly as the shell was stuck at the legs' date=' the other shrimp started attacking this one who was freshly moulted but not fully so I caught it out and with tweezers and small scissors help remove most of the moult so it can freely walk again.[/quote']

well done Dr Chi. LOL

Well that was nerve racking and my hands were shaking intensely lol

but success!!! 2 pairs of the mrs tweezers and it came right off!!

Thank god for that!

Well that was nerve racking and my hands were shaking intensely lol

but success!!! 2 pairs of the mrs tweezers and it came right off!!

Thank god for that!

Nicely done but with hands like yours lucky you didn't take off a few legs! LOL! Jokes mate jokes!

Well done dude, glad everything went well for you & the shrimp :victorious:

Thanks for the help guys

and yes i was freakin out that i couldve taken a leg off lol

Next time if you are ever in this position again and pulling on the moult doesn't want to come of and you are scared you may pull body parts as well, just get a small scissors and trim off as much as you can. A little bit left will not cause any problems as long as it doesn't effect their movement, eating, etc. It will then come off along with new moult next time round.

Congrats!

Feel like this guy?

post-3445-139909862023_thumb.jpg

Hey you trying to steal squiggles job? posting pics like that, shame! LOL!

Thanks cngo ill keep that in mind

can i ask is this a water problem or just unlucky?

Thanks cngo ill keep that in mind

can i ask is this a water problem or just unlucky?

I would say a mineral deficiency in the water (get yourself some mineral powder) but better to ask someone more knowledgeable, BB?

Let me tell you guys my story just happened yesterday. Last night when I looking my shrimp, I saw a big mama carrying eggs, swimming half way up to the surface, she stop swimming and floating and sink down to the substrate. Then another 2-3 come over and....trying to attack or eating her, I grape a chopstick and expel them away. Suddenly, she mounting and leave all the egg behind and other keep chasing her :dejection:. I have to take the egg out and leave it in the net, hopefully they will hatch in the next 1-2 weeks.

Let me tell you guys my story just happened yesterday. Last night when I looking my shrimp' date=' I saw a big mama carrying eggs, swimming half way up to the surface, she stop swimming and floating and sink down to the substrate. Then another 2-3 come over and....trying to attack or eating her, I grape a chopstick and expel them away. Suddenly, she mounting and leave all the egg behind and other keep chasing her :dejection:. I have to take the egg out and leave it in the net, hopefully they will hatch in the next 1-2 weeks.[/quote']

Did you remove the eggs from the moult as it should have been stuck to the moult right? How is the big mamma doing now, hope she is ok.

Hey you trying to steal squiggles job? posting pics like that' date=' shame! LOL![/quote']

Nobody can replace squiggle.

I'm just doing apprentice work in his absence.

I did remove them, feel like a doctor LOL. Afraid that sth gonna happen to her, I did put her in the breeding box and egg in the net for hatching last night. This morning, I seen she was alrite and putted her back to her community...yay :victorious:

I think those eggs need to be tumbled to survive? Someone more knowledgable might want to chime in.

Nobody can replace squiggle.

I'm just doing apprentice work in his absence.

Hahaha, very good young Padawan :victorious:

I think those eggs need to be tumbled to survive? Someone more knowledgable might want to chime in.

Don't need to be tumbled but ensure water flow is passing through them to help fungus at bay...However with fresh eggs they tend to have a low percentage of survival (easily fungus) where as if the eggs were a couple weeks old before mumma died then you would have a very good chance of them hatching. Check out the library there is an article there for this.

It is. I had a snow white mumma died with 9 eggs last few month, hatching and all survive. But my net method is not safe, gonna make a thing call "shrimp egg hatching" after the final exam :p