Stupid Question But..

kunzy

Hey guys dumb question but how does the sponge filter work?

when do i have to change the sponge?

why does most shrimp tanks have atleast one?

A sponge filter works from a air pump

it is good source of good for the baby shrimp

also there's no such thing as over filtering

There's no such thing as a stupid question here dude :encouragement:

+1 to what Gary said, as the air moves up the tube on the top it draws water through the sponge, the filtering bacteria grows on & inside the sponge to biologically filter the water, the shrimplets feed on the bacteria, hope this helps :victorious:

That's not a stupid question at all, Kunzy. :)

I was wondering about it myself....and sorry guys I still don't get it 100%. :dejection:

Can you explain it a bit more detailed...maybe with a photo or diagram,

Pretty please!

• HOF Member

If you google sponge filters there are some pretty good sites explaining and showing how they work.:encouragement:

It's simple Physics(& I'm not saying that to make you feel dumb either) as air bubbles move through water they create vertices behind them(creating a vaccum) & draw the water along creating a current, an example of this is when you're standing on the side of a road & a bus goes past, there is also a cushion of air in front of the bus that almost blows you off your feet & after it passes there is a whole lot of air drawn along in the vaccum behind the bus which pulls you along, now if you do this in a tube then the water will be constantly push & pulled through the tube, another good example is when you are waiting for a train in an underground station, you can always feel when the train is coming because of the cushion of air being pushed along by the approaching train. so now we have the water being moved through the tube from bottom to top & the only place for the water to come from is through the sponge, as the water gets drawn through the bacteria attaches itself to the surface, both inside & out, of the sponge & filters the water as it passes, hope this explains the process for you guys :victorious:

Inside the sponge of a sponge filter is a tube with little holes inside. Usually there is a airstone inside.

As air is pumped into the tube. The bubbles that come out push water upwards and out of the tube. As this water is pushed out, the water outside the sponge naturally forces its way through (via a PULLING force) and into the tube, where it is also pushed upwards by the air bubbles. This occurs as a constant cycle of water being sucked through the sponge and pushed upwards via the movement of air bubbles.

The bubbles coming out of the tube are essentially the same force you see in canister filters and HOBs that suck the water out. The confusing thing is that an air pump is used, which PUSHES water rather than sucks. I was really confused at first when I tried to figure out the mechanics of a sponge filter.

post-3445-139909861968_thumb.jpg

post-2019-13990985074_thumb.jpg

It's simple Physics(& I'm not saying that to make you feel dumb either) as air bubbles move through water they create vertices behind them(creating a vaccum) & draw the water along creating a current' date=' an example of this is when you're standing on the side of a road & a bus goes past, there is also a cushion of air in front of the bus that almost blows you off your feet & after it passes there is a whole lot of air drawn along in the vaccum behind the bus which pulls you along, now if you do this in a tube then the water will be constantly push & pulled through the tube, another good example is when you are waiting for a train in an underground station, you can always feel when the train is coming because of the cushion of air being pushed along by the approaching train. so now we have the water being moved through the tube from bottom to top & the only place for the water to come from is through the sponge, as the water gets drawn through the bacteria attaches itself to the surface, both inside & out, of the sponge & filters the water as it passes, hope this explains the process for you guys :victorious:[/quote']

Good analogy :D

thanks for the reply guys.. :) lots of help here..

OK so good bacteria grows on the sponge? does that mean we should never change the sponge?

• HOF Member

They need to be rinsed sometimes but only ever in tank water- when you are doing a water change. I keep a spare sponge in my tank so if one gets clogged I can change them over rinse out the dirty one and put that back in the tank -not connected just sitting there waiting for the next change then you don't lose the good bacteria and it's an extra snacking spot for the shrimp:) Don't forget only in used tank water never rinse under the tap the chlorine will kill the bacteria.

Yes, beneficial bacteria(there are two types) grow on the surface of everything in your tank, glass, gravel, plants & the filter :encouragement:

You never have to change the sponge, just squeeze it out gently in tank water you've taken out of the tank during small water changes, this way you keep the good bacteria in the sponge, if you don't do this & you clean the sponge in tap water you'll remove all the bacteria, the tank will cycle again & have a massive ammonia spike which, of course, is very bad :victorious:

Thanks a lot, Squiggle and Chabbs. Even I understand it now :o

Very good explaining there and thanks for the drawing Chabbs!

You guys ROCK!

I think the first 2 questions have been explained very nicely, good job guys! As to the why does every shrimp tank have one? Simple because it is very shrimp safe, especially for the babies who love to feed of the micro organisms on them and they work exceptionally well, cheap to run. You will find that there is a sponge filter where breeding is involved even with fish and other aquatics.

Thanks a lot' date=' Squiggle and Chabbs. Even I understand it now :o

Very good explaining there and thanks for the drawing Chabbs!

You guys ROCK![/quote']

No problemo :)

That drawing was taken off http://nickscrazypets.blogspot.com.au/p/diy-sponge-filter.html so all credit should go to him