saddled females

michael

My question is relating to saddled females. Ive got a large number of heavily saddled females and they have been that way for a fair while. Is there a time from noticing the saddle to when you might expect them to moult then mate. I know there isnt going to be any one answer as there are so many variables im just curious on peoples opinions

• HOF Member

Hi Michael there can be many reasons why they won't breed first most obvious do you have any males, then water parameters if the water isn't right they can't moult and that can stop breeding and then a very good variety of foods also how long have you had them and how old is the tank. If all this is right then it's patience patience and more patience I can speak from experience I have yellow cherries that haven't bred in 3 months and CRS and CBS that haven't bred but they are in a tank that has only been set up for a couple of months. Good luck it will happen:encouragement:

Thanks ineke.

I guess patience is the big thing. I beleive that there are both males and females in the tanks. I bought atleast 10 shrimp. I have had them in the tanks now for a couple of months now they are cherries and rilli. Ph is sitting about 6.5 tds 130 temp.23 gh 6 kh 2. They are fairly stable there are some smaller shrimp in the tanks as well and there seems to be plenty of moulting going on always seem to see shelks I just always see females with big saddles and not much more. Ive tried the tail and antenna to sex them and I beleive there are mature females and males. Do males mature after females or are they about the same?

• HOF Member

Michael they are all pretty precocious and can breed from about 6-7 weeks I think. If you can do as Ninja and BB say that may give them a boost to start mating- water changes seem to work most of the time. Cherries do like a higher ph but can adapt to lower ph so if it's too hard to raise it just try the water change. good luck:encouragement:

Thanks very much guys I will try doing a water change and increasing the Ph today. How high shoilf I take it and should I do it over a period of time of all today also to increass my Ph ill have to use an additive this will probably increase my kh,,gh and tds is that giing to be a problem.

Adding or lowering your ph with an additive like 'ph up' will kill your shrimp.

Just be very careful and get advice off those who have done it safely on this forum.

Sorry about my spelling such small buttons on my phone and such big fingers

I wouldn't risk using the Ph up approach but if you were to use it make sure it is done slowly over time...Maybe use a very slow drip

• HOF Member

Just try the water change , changing ph has to be done very slowly and if you use additives they won't keep the ph at that level for long. If you have soil in your tank that is buffering your ph then it will be a losing battle anyway. Also when making any changes it's best to try one at a time so you know which one is helping or take the shrimp out do all the changes then reacclimatise the shrimp slowly. Water change is looking good in my books try it first:D

Anyone have any other tips to increase Ph without using Ph up

Carbonate rocks and things like coral sand will increase pH.

Id say the substrate is the problem. Im using fluval shrimp sand all my shrimp tanks have it. I was thinking about changing it but it seemed like such a waste as the plants are going so well and they have only been running for about 3 months or so. I was planning on setting some of my others with a 2 / 3 mm gravel and transfering the cherries and rilli to them as I expanded my bee and hopefully tiger collection. Question will the fluval shrimp sand be ok for tigers, bb, kk and wr or will I need to get another substate for them. Or can I just filter my water with something like peat to make it that little bit lower than my substate will buffer it too