Sign in to follow this  
Sprae

Fluctuating pH in planted tank

Sprae

Hi guys, I've noticed that my tank pH is 5.8 during the day but goes higher to 6.0. Is that normal?

As many of you know, I have loads of moss and an anubias on a driftwood.

fishmosy

Completely normal. Its all to do with CO2 (carbon dioxide). CO2 reduces pH because it forms a weak acid when dissolved in water. During the day, your plants use up CO2 for photosynthesis, thereby increasing the pH by removing some of that weak acid created by the dissolved CO2. Overnight the plants release CO2 instead, causing a reduction in pH.

Also remember that since shrimp tanks are often low in minerals, and also in your case already acidic (pH 5.8 to 6.0), it doesn't take much change in CO2 (or any acid for that matter) to cause a large change in pH because there are few mineral ions to buffer against the acid.

Sprae

Thanks fishmosy. I have lights on from 2pm-10pm (8hrs) so photosynthesis in that period should raise my pH?

fishmosy

Absolutely, i wouldn't be surprised if you noticed a difference in pH in as little as 1 hour after your lights come on, depending on the accuracy/sensitivity of your pH test of course (e.g. Digital pH meter vs. pH colour indicator)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      I would imagine that the crabs will eat dead shrimps, even shrimps eat dead other shrimps, as they are both scavengers. Not sure that they would attack a live shrimp but it is probably best t keep a close eye on what happens before getting any more of either shrimps or crabs for that tank! Simon
    • Grubs
      I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse. I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄
    • kms
      Yesterday I put a 3 new shrimps in the tank, and one dead shrimp that was DOA in the bag, nothing happened to the 3 shrimps, but the dead shrimp was swarmed by 3 crabs as food, would you presumed the live shrimps might get attacked soon or later.
    • Lizzy
      Thanks so much for all the info guys. I’m very appreciative!  I’ll update once I get the RO going. Fingers crossed I don’t kill them all 😅 I’m really hoping this will encourage more breeding. In saying that, I have 3 berried as of the last week, which is pretty exciting. 
    • jayc
      No! It's like salt. Does salt go off? Unless moisture and water has got into the container, it should last until the container disintegrates.   Add a bit of Salty Shrimp GH+ into the RO water (go slow), stir it in, until  it reaches 150 TDS. Keep measuring with the TDS meter you are getting. Doesn't have to be exactly 150 as Simon said.    If you have the tools for it and the patience, that is the best way. Or if you are like me, impatient, I add 25% of the new change water back into the tank every 20-30 minutes. So over the span of 2hours or so.