crazy shrimp lady

ineke

• HOF Member

Ok I guess some of you get sick of seeing me post all the time and I am trying to cut back:o I have chronic pain issues and take lots of meds to help. Last night was particularly bad ( I'm not wanting sympathy it's a fact of my life and I get on with it) anyway this morning I was at a really low ebb and went to sit in my not shrimp room:D Just sitting staring at my shrimp and I can't describe the feeling of calm and joy I felt after 10 minutes or so just watching the little beasties getting on with their busy little lives. I love the way they are starting to come to the front of the tanks and it looks like they are staring right back at me. So now a day that started out bleak and miserable has turned to a morning of enjoyment all through a little collection of shrimp:tears_of_joy: and ofcourse the friends I have made on the forum.

Thats exactly why we keep them as well. Great to watch, relaxing, good on the blood pressure. And I would say a cheap

hobby but that'd just be kidding ourselves LOL

Isn't it great to get pleasure from such little creatures!

Last night I spoke to my boyfriend and we said goodnight. A few minutes later he calls me back to tell me that when he went to put the feeding dish in the tank, one of my blues decided to crawl all over his hand... He was so stoked it was so cute lol :) but yeah, amazing how little creatures can bring so much joy!

• HOF Member
Thats exactly why we keep them as well. Great to watch' date=' relaxing, good on the blood pressure. And I would say a cheap

hobby but that'd just be kidding ourselves LOL[/quote']

Never has anything that has been given to me for free cost me so muchLOL

• HOF Member

Yes torface sometimes it's the little things in life that give us the most pleasure!:)

I am a true believer of what you are saying, when I have my 4x2x2 marine reef I used to come home from work & loose hours just sitting & watching everything going on. Water & anything aquatic has a very soothing effect on people, even sitting at the beach & listening to the waves crash is just amazing. I've had this conversation with a lot of my mates, granted most of them are surfers or, like myself, used to be & forgive me for sounding like a flower loving hippie(not that there's anything wrong with that) we have come to the conclusion that water is calming to the soul & in almost every religion water is a source of peace, comfort & just general good vibes. The power of water & the sound of water is a definite reality & should be used more often, peace! :victorious:

• HOF Member

I find the sound of the bubbles in the tank very soothing my biggest problem is I go into my room and sit and a couple of hours later I think s###t where has the time gone!!!!

I totally get what you are saying INEKE. Me finding shrimp keeping has literally saved my life and given me a purpose.

In the mornings I look forward to getting up and checking on my shrimp. When I get home from work I say hello to my wife, then spend 30-40 with my shrimp to de-stress. Then I go and spend time with my wife - she understands it too.

The therapeutic value of our hobby can not be understated.

• HOF Member

Yes John I fully agree and when any sort of "event" in our lives happens it's nice to be able to just sit and not have any expectations put on us. I find this is also true with animals, I used to love sitting in my horse's clean stable thick bedding of straw and listen to her munching her food animals have a special effect on me!:)

+1 for destressing and unwinding, after working 10 hours a day i spend at very least 2 hours staring at my shrimp tank every day, best part is my daughter loves them

post-32-139909849842_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

It's a joy to have someone share your passion no matter how young- she is gorgeous even if upside down again!!!!LOL

Sorry to hear about the chronic pain, I can sympathize; cracked the L5 in my back when i was 18 and have had issues ever since. Great to hear that you also find tranquility and peace in this wonderful hobby, theres nothing quite like watching nature at work and spending time with pets to take your mind off things and get into a better frame of mind, its like a drug! It may not be cheap but hey its worth it lol!

• HOF Member

Hi Gravychic it's not fun when you have constant nagging pain but its great to have a hobby that is so much fun and something for me to do to keep my mind off it. I used to spend my days reading but now I am busy all day with my little critters. They have made such a difference for me. Plus having the forum and chatting with like minded people has been a godsend.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement: