Sexing CRS

ineke

• HOF Member

I am really struggling to see any differences in my CRS . Is there a definitive way to tell them apart ? Mine all look the same , I have 9 , 8 are adults and 1 is a juvi. I know it is possible I have all one sex in which case I'm leaning to females as they seem to have the curved tail area. Is there anything besides a thinner tail that may say male?

Thanks

ineke:encouragement:

Sexing can be frustrating. The 3 rules I use is body width, belly shape and length of antennae. My most reliable method is the length of the antennae.....females is normal body length or just a tad longer, where's males are much longer.

• HOF Member

Thanks BB that makes it easier I noticed very long antennae on several of them. I will check them out tomorrow and hope I have at least one of each

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Females are the ones with the eggs ;) Hahahaha, sorry i'm only good with cherries! :P One day...

Assuming all sexes are equal, probability says that there is a 0.1953125 percent chance of not having both sexes, 1 in 500 isn't bad odds, safe to say you'll be fine.

• HOF Member

Lol yeah I was waiting for that one!! I hope your odds are right

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Antennae is how i judge the sex of my shrimp. Just wanted to clarify which set your looking at, i use the top two that curve. Males are a longer then females but some times you get females with longish antennae which throws you off.

Male:

543740_10200258792184338_1818299077_n.jpg

Female (Not sexually mature, it has short antennae but the curved undercarriage is the real clue. A rounded under middle shell is also a good indicator. I got this when it was very young, took a magnified glass to it and have thought it would be a female since day 1):

488274_10200288963778609_856736539_n.jpg

Berried female for reference (note they are longer then usual) :

579333_10200288962898587_645056836_n.jpg

Apparently male (Not sexually mature, i think itll turn out female. What do you think?)

483801_10200258791384318_1432410402_n.jpg

• HOF Member

Thanks Robert that makes it so much clearer, going by the antennae then that looks like a girl. Still had trouble seeing the eggs on the berried girl though. Will try and get a better look at mine tomorrow . Thanks

Cheers

Ineke:D