Sign in to follow this  
ineke

Good tank size

ineke

Hi all, just wondering what size tank is a good handy size tank for shrimp. I know some of you think nothing is too big but I want something a handy size. I have 2 cubes 28*30cm holding 20 litres that are a bit small, an aqua one ar 380 which holds 34litres but is tall and narrow with a small floor space and a 750cm long ( 30") that hold 110 litres again extra tall that I find a bit too big. What works best for you- yes hubby has said get another one but I need to get it right this time! (If I keep getting it wrong does that mean more tanks) lol. Not looking at spending a fortune nothing fancy just functional

Cheers

Ineke:)

JohnH

I found bigger tanks are easier to maintain. Especially if you have lots of temperature fluctuations. I got rid of my small tanks and now have two 3ft tanks.

Squiggle

I'm very interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject. I would think it would be wider & deeper but not too high, something like a 2-3ftx2ftx1ft so you get a large gravel surface but not too deep, sorry I was just thinking out loud, what does everyone think? :encouragement:

image-74_zpsef827b04.jpg

ineke

I'm finding the big tank looks empty the shrimp seem to spend a lot of time down one end. Maybe when I redesign it this weekend it will look better. I agree about the temp fluctuations of the small tanks they can vary by 2-3 degrees during the day, but I do like the square floor space.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

ineke

Yes I agree Squiggle about the height. My 30" was custom made to the measurements of a 36" tank so quite deep, the AR 380 is also very deep and the shrimp don't use the top area except when on the prowl for females. I like the squareness of the cubes but think I need a bigger cube.

Cheers:encouragement:

blindfisherman

anything around 30-40 cm high, anything over that is a bit redundant imo.

A few 2' tanks would be pretty handy. ~60L isn't too bad in terms of temp stability

when the tanks are established, i find heaps of shrimplets grazing over all the algae high up on the glass.

On fresh tanks i find the shrimp to huddle in the corner a bit but once its going they explore everywhere.

Also, high flow rates require a lot of hiding space. in one of my tanks 700L/h and the shrimp would all hide, turned the pump down to 450 and they are everywhere now.

BlueBolts

I've got several 26lt nano tanks, but ideally a 45-65 lt tank would be my ideal....but depends on they qty's you intend breeding, vs selective breeding.......i.e. if I only had a 1m space, and had a selective breeding program, I would have 3 x 333mm tanks vs if I wanted to breed a colony of BB, then I would either have a 1m tank or 2 x 500mm tanks ..... but to helpo with WQ, temp/PH fluctuations, they'll all be in one system, i.e. a sump/cannister combination.

I recently shift some of my shrimps around, and had 5 shrimp in a 60 lt....and they became very shy.....but the next tank had about 100 shrimps, and they were all swimingm, exploting and dancing...so tank size would also be dependent upon the number of shrimps you want to keep.

ineke

Thanks BB at this stage I am just trying to increase numbers for my own pleasure with culls going into my community tank where so far the fish don't bother them. I love the cubes but mine are a little small and as you go up in size with aquariums they get very tall

I was thinking of having a custom made tank if I can't buy a ready made one. I do think there is a cube that holds 40 litres so maybe that would be the way to go. 40 to 50 litres was what I had thought too just not the deep style. My 34 litre tank holds temperature quite well but it is deep and narrow with little floor space.

I had wondered if by now anyone had actually come up with a shrimp specific tank?

Cheers

torface

I have seen some shrimp tanks advertised on a facebook group recently that are 90x21x24cm.... looks long and shallow. Very reasonably priced too. I think they're in Sydney though :(

ineke

Just got my hopes up and then crashed down. However I have just found some aqua nano cubes that are the40*40cm size that apparently hold 40 litres come complete with lights and filters for $115 that might be worth a trip to look at. Have to get the tape measure out and visualise the size.

Cheers

JohnH

This is a nice tank

KiwiBigD

The other choice is why not buy a nice cabinet or piece and have the tank made to fit it?

Most of my tanks are around 60x30x40 which I find is a great size for breeding and it has a bit more volume and makes a reasonable display tank. Given

the chance though I prefer slightly larger but it also depends on the shrimp. A pair of CRS in that size and you never see them, plus they're slower to

breed as compared with Cherries which means after 6 months you'll have a pretty full tank with Cherries but not so much CRSs. But add a bit more moss

and cover and you can't go wrong.

My larger tanks are about 60x60x45cms which I find provides a good size area and volume with the right lighting. Lots more hiding spaces then as well.

ineke

Thanks JohnH no retailers in Adelaide though

Cheers

ineke

Hi BigD

my biggest shrimp tank is 76x50x30 and I have my cherries in there but for me that is too big for 1 type of shrimp. I have a reasonable number in there and it still looks empty. I love my cubes they look so neat and tidy - and no I'm not a neat freak- but they are just too small. I am going to look at the 40 cm cube apparently according to the aqua one UK site they hold 50 litres- the shop here says 40 but if they look OK I might try one of those. I also like the bigger cubes that I have seen but they must be custom made. I haven't spoken to any aquarium manufacturers here yet so don't know what it would cost to have one made up. Might look at that during the week.

Cheers