moving bed filter

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All ,

Does any one use a moving bed filter - the design and instructions on Tyne Valley Aquatics- I made one and it works but it has been going for about 4 weeks now and only a small amount of the media is moving. Any hints on how to get it all moving. As I understand it the bacteria builds up and the media gets heavy and moves in the air bubbles -all this works fine but not much moves maybe a dozen pieces any hints would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ineke

Maybe add a bigger pump to get it moving or even less media will also help it stir more. Dead spots are not good as I understand it as it can cause spikes in your wp. That's how I think of it anyway

• HOF Member

Thanks Mick I don't think it is the pump as I've tried putting the pressure up and down but I might take out half the media and see how it goes. I'm using it in my fish tank but the nitrates are still around 40- the tank is over crowded and I have a heavy hand with feeding- all other parameters are good and fish happy and healthy. The fish will be moved to a much bigger tank soon -that wall is being painted right now!!!!! I quite like the filter and have bought the first type of media he used so hopefully I can get it moving.

• HOF Member

Well have taken out half the media- although I hadn't put a lot in to start with- and put the airstone a bit further into the bottle. all moving at the moment so maybe fixed. Thanks Mick :encouragement:

Cheers

Ineke

I have these in all my tanks, start with little media (half the bottle) and add as they get mature, big tip do not use the airstone! Just an open end airline, this will create more water movement, it is not needed.

• HOF Member

Thanks for that CNgo2006 will give it a go although now I only have half the amount of media it is moving along quite nicely.

Cheers

Ineke

I have these in all my tanks' date=' start with little media (half the bottle) and add as they get mature, big tip [b']do not use the airstone! Just an open end airline, this will create more water movement, it is not needed.

Agree with this 100%

• HOF Member

Will take my airstone out tomorrow on the BIG MOVE day. I have enough media to make some more so will make a bigger one for the new tank. Don't know if I can make one small enough for the cubes!!!

Will take my airstone out tomorrow on the BIG MOVE day. I have enough media to make some more so will make a bigger one for the new tank. Don't know if I can make one small enough for the cubes!!!

For smaller tanks you can use those small pop top bottles, drinks for kids. Best is a rounded bottom but if you can't find go for cylinderish, so media doesn't get caught in corners

• HOF Member

Thanks for that they would be quite unobtrusive at the back of a cube. Will go to the cheap shop tomorrow and buy some little bottles of water I think they have 6 for about $3

If you get ones that have a concave bottom, you can put boiling water in them, put the lid on & flip the bottom out so you get a nice dome to to your filter :encouragement:

• HOF Member
If you get ones that have a concave bottom' date=' you can put boiling water in them, put the lid on & flip the bottom out so you get a nice dome to to your filter :encouragement:[/quote']

Thanks Squiggle would never have thought of that . Hope your hopping along OK:friendly_wink:

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Hi Zohn,

Mine is the same without the sponge filter. How have you fixed the bottle cap to the filter

Surprisingly the tube that comes with the sponge filter fits some bottles perfectly, or you could use hosing instead of the plastic tube, attach some suction cups to the bottle to keep it fixed. I have the exact same in my fish tanks but it is difficult for shallow shrimp tanks...

I use the ocean spray cranberry juice bottles because of the perfect size for the standard 18" high tanks. Cut your hosing tube and cut the cap so the tube fits in. Then fit it onto your sponge filter and it should stand up on its own.

Cut/drill a hole on the side so you can put your air line through into the sponge.

It's not pretty but it speeds the cycling in my tanks

Iyoiq1gl.jpg

• HOF Member
Surprisingly the tube that comes with the sponge filter fits some bottles perfectly' date=' or you could use hosing instead of the plastic tube, attach some suction cups to the bottle to keep it fixed. I have the exact same in my fish tanks but it is difficult for shallow shrimp tanks...[/quote']

I will try to get the small kids bottles for the cubes, my 34 litre is quite deep so a little larger will suit that and the 110 litre is super deep so that's not a problem. My 200 litre fish tank can probably take a litre bottle so will have a play once the 2 bigger tanks are setup.

• HOF Member

I have one ocean spray bottle so will try that. Need to buy a couple more sponge filters because I like the idea of the extra filtration too. Thanks everyone very inspiring and gives me some things to play with once the 2 bigger tanks are finished. THE WALL HAS BEEN PAINTED. Tomorrow is d day for new tank to be setup then time to play with the 100 litre shrimp tank.

I have something like this:

thats so cool! i might try that,

if any one finds some more specific brand bottles which fit onto the sponge filter please share :)