Are these featherfins

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All

I bought these from a private seller as peppered cories but they have grown and their fins have GROWN. They were for a small tank but have put them in my 30" community tank, they were very shy but now there are 4 cories in with them they are finally coming out of hiding. I apologise for the quality of photos.post-24-139909848607_thumb.jpgpost-29-139909848609_thumb.jpgpost-23-139909848612_thumb.jpgpost-522-139909848613_thumb.jpg

Appreciate any thoughts

Cheers

Ineke

Nah, just standard Peppered Cory's, they are just getting big so it might look like enlarged fins compared to when they are juvies :D

• HOF Member

I have 3 albinos and 1 bronze and their fins are no where near that size the top fin is huge and the side fins are nearly as long as their body. They are nice fish but not like any peppered cories I've seen although now I think about it there are long fin varieties of cories aren't there?

• HOF Member

Ha just googled long fin peppered cories yep thats what they are. Cool I thought I might have to sell them now I can keep them..

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle once I looked them up on google I can see they are the long fin cats

Cheers

Ineke

Yeah there is but they are way longer than that, maybe this is an in between stage, this breeder may be trying to create his own line of longfins

image-74_zps916795c7.jpg

• HOF Member

No he was honest and thought they were cories of some sort. I thought they were peppered cats but then the fins just kept growing.the side on view shows huge fins but my phone just doesn't take good pictures (or it could be the person using it:redface-new:. They are as big as my albinos now so will see if they stop growing.:D

Yeah, they are definitely peppers but he might be breeding his own line of longfin peppers/or not, if they are abnormally long you could start your own longfin line, lol, more tanks :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I think I will stick to the shrimp last time I had fish breeding I couldn't keep up with them. Only guppies but very nice colours and the males had huge tails but it took so much work keeping up with water changes etc it became a chore instead of a pleasure. Now I have no live breeders and although the Neon Tetras are. Depositing eggs regularly the Bettas eat them.

Lol, I know what you mean, I have about 300 Bettas sitting on the shelf & just changing the water takes a couple of hours, then there's the Endlers & wild Bettas, I'm trying to reduce & concentrate on shrimp, so much easier, lol :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Wow, i just love Bettas but have never tried to breed them. i have 11 females in with my one male - not meant to have put them all together but thats another story. I only have the one fish tank now. I did Have some of my females in a separate tank but that tank turned into my first shrimp tank. I don't think hubby would like me to have jars of fish in the "fish room/office" three tanks are enough in there plus the one in the dining room!

• HOF Member

We had solar panels put on the roof and we are fairly frugal with electricity but now 4 lights, heaters, pumps, air pump I'm going to chew up some of our credits mmm a fish room might be cheaper. Think I should run that by the grumpy old man?

• HOF Member

They are way cool fish. Love the way they swim to the top of the water and take a big gulp of air then back down to the bottom and look like they wink at you. I now have six in the tank and they are much more active. I didn't realise they prefer to be in larger groups. I have one smaller bronze cory who is head honcho and can be seen swimming on top of the bigger ones they don't seem very impressed but funny to watch. Don't think it is a courtship he just hops any available back as it passes.