DIY perspex dividers

lachie1998

These are how i make my dividers for my flowerhorns but some of you guys may be able to moddify it to suit the needs of shrimp like adding some mesh over the holes and siliconing it in place.

1.mark out the size divider to fit your tank

2. cut, i used a angle grinder

3.mark out were to drill holes.

4. drill holes.

5.done

DSCN2280.jpgDSCN2281.jpgDSCN2282.jpgDSCN2284.jpg

cheers

Seems pretty simple :congratulatory:. Looks great too!. Thou wouldnt it be better if you slice a piece of silicone tubing and run it down the sides? Might give a stronger seal.

thanks Dean, it is coloured perspex. I made two sets of dividers that day.... one blue and one clear. the fish cannot see through the coloured ones.

also might add that from bunnings it is $50 a sheet, quite pricy.

good stuff mate, yes that is very pricey. is the blue used for a reason, is it better the fish cannot see through it?

good stuff mate' date=' yes that is very pricey. is the blue used for a reason, is it better the fish cannot see through it?[/quote']

Dont want a Deathmatch lol

well with flowerhorn if you have a larger fish on one side and a smaller less dominate fish on the other and a clear divider between them this allows the more dominate larger fish to intimidate the smaller fish next to it thus making the smaller fish's kok (the hump on there head) and colour and confidence to decrease. Also it may help with breeding.

• 5 months later...

I did something similar with it... Here is what i did...

1.. measure and cut 1mm smaller in width and to how high i wanted it...

2.. removed the sharp edges and cut airline tubing to the hieght

3.. sliced the tubing do one side so it slips over the edge and i used silicone to hold it in place and let dry for 7 days as that is what they spec...

4.. Drilled 2 60mm holes in them

5.. Cut spounge filter to the shape + 5mm and fit them in...

I have 3 of these in a 4 footer with spounge filters running and a canister filter that sucks out one end and pumps back in the other and it works a dream... the spounges in the perspex act like a filter as well so it is a win win... Next time i will put 4 60mm holes for no other reason than the shrimplet love hanging of it....lol...

The coloured perspex will be great for dividing male Bettas too, overexposure to another male causes them to stress out.

Forgot to add that the air tubing is to hold it in place with out using silicone so you can move them around that is why i cut it 1mm smaller and add the tubing so it fits in tight...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect a year old post. But I am reasonably new to the forum and still reading through all the topics.

I have a question.... obviously the foam needs to be put in the drilled holes to stop the shrimp from swimming through, is there a risk of this foam clogging up with crap and stopping the water flow, which would then result in the tank overflowing?

Sorry to resurrect a year old post. But I am reasonably new to the forum and still reading through all the topics.

I have a question.... obviously the foam needs to be put in the drilled holes to stop the shrimp from swimming through, is there a risk of this foam clogging up with crap and stopping the water flow, which would then result in the tank overflowing?

Yes and no. The foam is generally not the finest and there is s lot of it. Also there tends to not be too much particulate matter floating about in shrimp tanks. So yes it could block up, but it would probably take weeks, months or years of neglect to happen. A quick squeeze in old tank water is a quick and easy way to clean the sponges.

• Like 1

Awesome, Thanks @fishmosy. I like the idea, will definitely use it to divide up some bigger tanks

Have you intake and outlet on opposite sides of the tank if you run a canister to, so you encourage the water to go from one end to the other and not being stagnate like