Best snails and fish to tackle range of algae?

NoGi

• HOF Member

As the title says. I've go multiple outbreaks, what good at snacking at algae? I've already got ottos.

I find Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) are really good for Black Beard Algae (BBA) which pretty much nothing else eats. Just ensure you get the true SAE.

Also noticed that green spot algae is reduced in tanks with freshwater limpets, but then the limpets are on the glass. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Heard some of the native shrimp are good algae eaters but I prefer to keep them in their own right so can't tell you from personal experience.

I had clado growing in one of my tanks and recently got some DAE. I've seen them eating it and the clado has reduced significantly. This tank also has SAE's and bristlenose and cherry shrimp.

Sajica donated some DAE shrimp to tackle my hair algae issues, and it's just about all gone !:)

• HOF Member

Hmmmmmm I might have to source some more DAE. I have a few but they don't seem to be up to the task.

I had a huge hair algae issue, and after 1-2 weeks, didn't think the DAE was doing much at all, but realise they must haven been chompin on it, as the tank doesn't have any hair algae anymore :) They're doing the rounds now in all my tanks....they don't seem to bother any of the other shrimps too...

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to Darwin Algae Eaters. May not be the best looking shrimp around but they sure eat algae. I bought a pair and they were working their way through my little 30cm cube like no tomorrow.

Love them. And whats more, the female is now berried!

Rasbora eat black beard... supposedly the best fish for the job.

Don't know how well they'd go with shrimp

Rasbora eat black beard... supposedly the best fish for the job.

Don't know how well they'd go with shrimp

No worries. Your rasbora's will love the shrimp as much as they love algae :)