Sign in to follow this  
Chels

Treating Ich With Shrimp in the Tank

Chels

When I went to buy a new tank recently, I also bought the most adorable chili rasboras. Unfortunately they have what I suspect is ich - tiny white spots. 

The API treatment "Super Ick Cure" says saltwater inverts might be sensitive to it, so I'm wondering if it would harm my neos? I have berried females so I want to be extra careful. 

94464_PT2._AC_SY400_V1570551749_.jpg

• Like 1

jayc

Any idea what the active ingredient is?

<edit> nevermind, I see it in the fine print.

Benzaldehyde Green. Which is a Malachite Green reduction in the presence of aldehyde. 

So API's Super Ick Cure is just malachite green. Not sure if it has any other active ingredients like Formalin, but it doesn't say on the fine print. API is charging you extra for what is just essentially Malachite green.

Formalin Malachite Green will kill inverts.

It works as a stain that penetrates the epidermal cell layer. You need malachite green levels high enough to kill the ich swarmers as they cyst on the fishes skin. Think of it as a force field, as the free swimming ich tries to latch onto the fish, they have to go through the malachite layer which kills them. But having that level of malachite green where it kills ich might also be harmful to inverts - more lethal to snails than shrimp. However, you have berried shrimps. So this med will impact the shrimps and eggs negatively as well.

So conclusion is ... Not safe.

Separate the fish into a temporary container/tank with an airstone, and treat them there with malachite green.

Keep them out of the main tank for at least a week or two to let the ich die out naturally before adding the fish back in.

Good luck.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jayc

Ah ok.

That's just largely salt, a bit of antibiotics in nitrofurazone, and malachite green.

BTW, this product is a rip off. You're paying a lot for what is just salt and a bit of malachite green.

My comments above still stand. Not safe for shrimps. 

The salt content is not good in the shrimp tank. Nitrofurazone is ok with shrimps. Malachite green is okay for short periods with shrimp, but not with berried shrimps.

Best to treat the fish separately in another container or tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chels

Thanks Jay C! Will do. I think the ich lives in the substrate so it will probably take a few follow up treatments to get rid of it all. But with this treatment it works within a couple of days so that's not too much trouble. 

I wish I had the knowledge to dose the Nitrofurazone and malachite properly but I don't so I'm going to have to pay the ripoff prices. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Thank you again for editing your responses with all of that helpful info!! I greatly appreciate the details as it helps me learn for future treatments or additives. 

I've done some digging, and the Super Ick Treatment from API seems to be the fastest way to get them off your fish (or I guess technically out from under their scales.. 🤢). So I'll be putting them in a small quarantine tank to treat them for 48 hours. Directions also say there needs to be aeration so I'll have an air stone in there with them just for treatment. 

I also want to make sure the ich is gone from the tank, so instead of waiting until the fish are re-infected to treat again, I also found out that Kick-Ich from Ruby Reef is shrimp/snail safe so I'llbe following up with that when the shrimp babies hatch and become juveniles. Suggestion is to use it with Rally, also from Ruby Reef. It takes up to 2 weeks to treat for the first cycle, then the second cycle to be certain. 

The biggest note using Kick-Ich is calculating the dosage. If you don't account for displacement, you will end up killing everything in your tank. It also can kill some of the beneficial bacteria + algae but I have plenty of that to spare. Also need to remove the carbon filter and sponge filter so the treatment isn't caught there. 

Edited by Chels
  • Like 2