Sign in to follow this  
JMan

What is this creature in my shrimp tank

JMan

I have only ever put Amano and RCS shrimp in my tank, but this thing looks kind of like a dragonfly nymph with a wide head and a weird tri-split tail

Screenshot_20210127-202953_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

jayc

That is a Damselfly nymph.

Get rid of it.

• Like 1

JMan

Wow!  Just looked it up. Apparently its like having a shark in my shrimp tank. Hope I can catch it. I guess it must have hitched a ride on some plants I bought.  Thanks so much for letting me know what it was!!

• Like 1

jayc

You're welcome.

I have never heard it described as "like a shark in the tank", but that is so apt. 

Dragonfly and damselfly nymphs are nasty creatures. Good luck with catching it.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Zap that beast asap, and keep a close eye out for more!

We have dragonfly here as there are 2 lakes in the garden and they fly inside in the summer (when the  windows are open all day) so that may even be what happened, especially if the tank doesn't have a full cover.

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      That is low. If your tank is 70TDS, it means your source water is even lower. It's uncomfortably low for Neocaridina. Can you get your hands on GH+KH remineralisers? Something like Salty Shrimp GH/KH+. It doesn't have to be the Salty Shrimp brand. Add it to your change water to bring TDS up to 100 initially.   
    • abepaniagua
      Ammonia seems to be at 0ppm or 0.5ppm. Nirites is at 5ppm I think. Sorry I measured all before leaving the house but left my notes at home. I found KH and GH at 0ppm which is very low and TDS at 70. The water I've been using is very soft.
    • beanbag
      Even if the tank seems "normal" again, please be sure to check the ammonia (and nitrite if possible) every day until you are sure the cycle has started again.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You can usually see through blue jelly shrimp shells so there is a difference between being able to see through the light colour of the shell or seeing through a shell which is clear colourless or even a hole in the shell! The black on the blues may be part carbon rili colouring, if it is on the shell? From what I can make out from the photos I think it is on the shell and may just be low grade colouring? Simon
    • abepaniagua
      Thank you guys. So exciting to see a jade green shrimp haha. So crazy it came from 2 blue Neos. Again, tank seems to be back to "normal". I spent a few days without feeding them since there's algae around...but yesterday I dropped half a wafer and they all came like crazy. I took a few more pictures to show you the clear area on the head.