• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Great to here it is now working and you have some shrimplets! What you say regarding the stone makes sense to me! It would be easier and more stable to get GH/KH+ if you can, as the proportion will be set? Simon
    • WaldoDude
      So more good news, theres been an explosion in the shrimplet population in the tank! 🙂 So upon seeing this I thought, I'd test the water to see if anything's changed and what do you know, the ph is sitting around ~7.4. Thats the lowest I've gotten it down to! So I thought I'd share what I did to get to this point. As you know, I was struggling to lower my tanks ph, even after swiching to remineralised RO/DI water. Moreover I was using Salty Shrimp GH+ and had to KH myself but found that doing so increased my waters ph quite high.   So more good news, theres been an explosion in the shrimplet population in the tank! 🙂 So upon seeing this I thought, I'd test the water to see if anything's changed and what do you know, the ph is sitting around ~7.4. Thats the lowest I've gotten it down to! So I thought I'd share what I did to get to this point. As you know, I was struggling to lower my tanks ph, even after swiching to remineralised RO/DI water. Moreover I was using Salty Shrimp GH+ and had to add KH myself but found that doing so increased my waters ph quite high. Well, as per my last post, I ended up continuing to remineralise my ro water with SS GH+ and use that without ever adding KH. One thing I noticed was that even though I wasnt adding KH, I was still testing a kh of 2-3 in the tank for quite a while. Now someone in another forum then suggested that KH from having the seiryu stones prior in addition to the KH I was adding initially  had been soaked up by the substrate and was leaking it back into the water column and thus continuing the buffer the ph. He suggested I therefore continue my water changes and eventually the KH should go down. That was a month ago, after another weekly water change yesterday and seeing the multitudes of shrimplets, today I also tested the KH in addition to the ph, and got a reading of 1-2 degrees, so it is indeed slowly going down. Im sure as a result the ph has also gone down. Of course once the kh gets <1 I am going to have to actually add KH to the tank and perhaps finally get my hands on the SS GH+ AND KH+  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Superb news and long may it continue. You probably have a male in the mix, but even if not then there will be one amongg the babies, you would then just need to wait for itt to mature (about 3 months?)! Simon
    • Kearmstr
      Thanks for the help! I did the salt bath and it seems to have worked. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • jayc
      Glad we could be of some help. Always good to see another new shrimpkeeper's success in this hobby.