What Soil for Taiwan Bees?

Hello Community,

what Soil do you guys keep for Taiwan Bees? I have Tropica Powdered Soil, and i cant seem to get my Baby Shrimps up. After 2 Weeks they die off over night. My Ph ist about 7.

Can you guys recommend me something?

Im Using Ro Water with Salty Shrimp GH +

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh pH is definitely way too high. You 100% need a buffering substrate for bees, with some driftwood as well, to get  the pH about 6.2 or lower. I don't personally use buffering substrates though so I cannot reccomend anything in particular. Good luck.

• Like 1

I definitely recommend JBL ProScape Shrimp soil, which I believe to be from Germany so should be available to you! My supplier sells the tropica soil but I think it is more suited to plants/aquascaping so may not reduce/buffer the PH for caridina shrimps. RO water should be below Ph7 I believe? You sound like you are having a similar problem to the one I had years ago, but that was because I was using TAP water!

Simon

I'm using like said RO water with Salty shrimp. Only lava rocks. My Test kit says in the tank after one week it has about 7 pH.. 

Does someone use Ada Amazonia or akadama? What about Ebi gold soil? I heard of jbl scapesoil. Will do my research thanks ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goco said:

Ada Amazonia or akadama?

ADA Amazonia is used by many, many shrimp keepers. It's excellent for Taiwan bees, but the tank needs to be cycled properly as Amazonia releases a lot of ammonia. 

I don't like  Akadama as much. This is used for bonsai plants, so it's not as consistent with how it's made.

3 hours ago, Goco said:

What about Ebi gold soil?

Ebi Gold Soil is great to use. I have not personally used it, as we don't get it here in Australia. 

• Like 1