Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Crabby

pH has dropped suddenly...

Recommended Posts

Crabby

Hey all,

I measured the tank parameters yesterday for my 29 gal community, and I was shocked when my pH read around 6.2. I don’t use a buffering substrate, and don’t use RO or rainwater, just dechlorinated tap. I can’t see why it might have dropped so quickly. For reference, it usually measures 6.6-6.8, so it’s a decent drop. My tap is neutral. Any ideas on why this would happen? 
Also, will salty shrimp bring the ph up a bit? I will dose a little bit anyway, but I’m hoping it’ll help the ph.

Thanks in advance folks!

Crabby

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crabby

To follow up, today I did a 45% water change, and dosed about 6 g of salty shrimp, and now the params are back to normal. pH 6.8, GH 4 and KH 2. I underestimated the effect of salty shrimp (won’t do that again), and may have slightly shocked the inhabitants, but they all seem fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc

The natural process of the beneficial bacteria breaking down Ammonia into Nitrites and then Nitrates increases Hydrogen, which in turn influences the pH level of a tank. Ammonia is a compound of nitrogen and hydrogen with the formula NH3. So when Beneficial Bacteria "eats" up the Nitrogen (N), what are you left with? 3 molecules of Hydrogen (H3). And the more Hydrogen you have in the water, the lower your pH

If you are lax in water changes, ph will drop due to this cycling process where Nitrogen is constantly being removed.

Tap water is also high in pH, as it contains chemicals and minerals that are designed to keep pH high (alkaline pH avoids corrosion of pipes and teeth). 

 

Only Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ will raise pH.

Salty Shrimp GH+ does not increase pH.

Which one do you have?

 

So if you used tap water and SS GH/KH+ for your water change it would increase pH a lot more than just using one or the other.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crabby

Thanks for the chemistry lesson jayc! Really, really helpful and interesting. I thought the problem might be started from high ammonia, because I added 4 new fish to the tank this week. I use SS Gh/KH+.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
36 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I use SS Gh/KH+.

So the combo of tap water and SS GH/KH+ will help maintain a stable pH for your tank. But you need to be regular with the water changes. Nature is not stopping with the Nitrogen cycle, so neither can you.

 

39 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I thought the problem might be started from high ammonia

It's probably one of the causes. The added ammonia load from more fish, caused more ammonia. More ammonia was broken down by the beneficial bacteria, leaving more ... Hydrogen! And remember, more Hydrogen means lower pH

 

In very mature tanks, it's sometimes a good idea to add a buffer. Like shell grit. The lower the pH gets (acidic) the more carbonates are released from the shell grit thus buffering the pH higher. I would only recommend this for very mature filters/tanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crabby
1 hour ago, jayc said:

In very mature tanks, it's sometimes a good idea to add a buffer. Like shell grit. The lower the pH gets (acidic) the more carbonates are released from the shell grit thus buffering the pH higher. I would only recommend this for very mature filters/tanks.

It's not that mature yet, about to hit 6 months.

 

1 hour ago, jayc said:

But you need to be regular with the water changes.

Yeah, umm, I didn't do any for a little while about a month ago, but the last 3 weeks I've been doing a 50% every week before this happened. So not too sure if that correlates.

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
9 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Yeah, umm, I didn't do any for a little while about a month ago

That would be the reason why you noticed a sudden drop in pH.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Posts

    • sdlTBfanUK
      I'm not all that sure that pure RO or Zerowater is all that healthy to drink all the time as when it is filtered it removes everything, good and bad but I could be wrong as I am not known for my healthy eating........... Even for the shrimps you need to add back the good bits with GH+ (or GH/KH+)? www.zerowater.com I had a quick look and most of the range is available from walmart and the prices are the same (near enough) to the manufacturers website! Bear in mind that water going through the filter of this size is a SLOW business so if you are going to multi-use it, or do many litres each time you are best to get a largish one as kms states, so you can just fill the top bit and leave it to do its thing! If you do get a larger one you may also get a TDS meter (hand as a spare). You need to change the filter before it gets to TDS 006 and in my experience that happens suddenly so as soon as you get ANY TDS you will need to keep a closer eye on it (ie I probably get 90L at 000, then 6L at 001, then 4L at 002 and then TDS goes up each litre - hope that makes sense?). Simon
    • Chiquarius
      Thanks everyone. What scares me is that I’ve been drinking and feeding my children ‘filtered water’ with TDS 160+ for years. I thought the filter I had was filtering out heavy metals (lead, chromium). Maybe so, I actually sending samples for free water quality testing. It seems like the zero filter is the way to go.  Rain water is also brilliant for the shrimp. I’m not sure how polluted it is where I am. I have rain barrels but I also dose with mosquito dunks which I fear are toxic to shrimp. I definitely want to get into crystal and bee shrimp and be healthier.
    • kms
      Like@sdlTBfanUK, which he recommended the zerowater to me, I got the table top 23 cup version, and recently I got a jug 10 cup version, the jug version works out cheaper than than just getting the filter from where I live. It's a must is a RO system cost too much. You can also consider the Oceanfree hydra in tank or canister filter, they do improve the water quality, it all depends on if you can obtain one, they have a large range.
    • beanbag
      Buy these items for a bit over $200: https://www.spectrapure.com/product/maxpure-mpro-90-gpd-ro-system-mpro-90/ and ask them to switch out the carbon block for a chloramine block https://www.spectrapure.com/product/inline-10-inch-gac-carbon-filter-cartridge-0-25-inch-quick-connect-cf-in-10-4jg/ https://www.spectrapure.com/product/hm-digital-sm-1-inline-single-probe-tds-meter-mtr-tds-sm1/ and also ask them if you are missing any minor parts like fittings. Or piece together a similar system on Amazon for a little bit less. U got to pay to play if you want clean water. The bonus is that you can drink this water yourself.    
    • beanbag
      I see that the two water levels are not the same, which means the pipe has air in it
×
×
  • Create New...