Sign in to follow this  
Fry4friends

Is this brown spot disease?

Fry4friends

Hello everyone, 

ive had my Taiwan bees for maybe two months, and yesterday I found one of them dead. Part of the shell had turned drown and now I see this on another of the shrimp. I tired to do some research, but I’m not sure what the disease looks like on a Taiwan Bee. I’ve also read that the brown color could possibly be from molting. Is there anything I can do for it? 

1D61660A-A547-4923-826C-7C75B06A19EA.jpeg

E0116C65-73D2-42C1-909D-88CC98F337AC.jpeg

jayc
7 hours ago, Fry4friends said:

Part of the shell had turned drown and now I see this on another of the shrimp

Did the other shrimp that died have any pitting in its shell? Brown spot or Rust disease eats away at the shell creating little pits like holes.

• Like 1

Fry4friends

No it didn’t, it just had some brown spot on it (like the one in the picture).

also I just tested my water- 

ammonia: 0

nitrate: 0

nitrite: 0

ph: 6.5 

temperature: 80F

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

I'm not much good with disease as i have never had any but 80F is a bit high, I keep mine at 22C though it creeps up on occasions when weather gets too hot.

I had my heater stick on and the attached shows a picture of a dead shrimp which they all looked like, when the other one died did it go like this?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14501-disaster-has-struck/?tab=comments#comment-136779

Simon

Fry4friends

No, the shrimp had normal coloration (apart from the brown spot) and seemed to be active and healthy right up until it died. The temperature has been fluctuating for the last few weeks as the weather here has been 102F and then gets cold at night. This morning the temperature in the tank was like 72F, but will usually hit 80F by the end of the day. I have three Taiwan Bees in a 5gallon tank. 

• Like 1

jayc

@Fry4friends

the shrimp pictured certainly doesn't look right. 

Have you read the Diseases and Diagnotics thread in Shrimp Health and Care forum?

There are two know cures for brown spot.

Levimiasole HCL and Carvacrol oil (oregano oil).

Of the two I would try Carvacrol oil first, as it's easier to find. You can get them in health food stores. Where are you located?

Follow the directions in the Diseases and Diagnotics thread.

Even if we have misdiagnosed the issue, Carvacrol will have not harm the tank.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fry4friends

Okay, thank you, I will try that. Hopefully the little guy gets better. 

• Like 1

Fry4friends

update: after work I went and bought the oregano oil, came home and all the shrimp in the tank are dead. 

Crazy enough it turns out some babies hatched today too. So now I have a tank of newborn shrimp.

• Like 1

jayc

sorry to hear that.

If you haven't disposed of the shrimp, could you take a photo of it close up, out of the water? We might be able to use it to ID future brown spot diseases if we have a good quality picture.

You might want to continue with the oregano oil treatment, but maybe at half dose but double the timeframe.

• Like 1

sdlTBfanUK

Sorry to hear you lost the shrimps, fingers crossed that those babies survive and you can start a new colony!

It still makes me nervous the temperatures though as I have lost a whole tank full at not much more than your temperature and the 'recommended' range is 21-24C?

Hopefully the oregano JayC recommends will sort you out but keep a close eye on the temperature as well!

Simon

Fry4friends

Thank you everyone for all your help and support 😭 I moved the babies to a new tank, and took down the 5gallon that they were all in. Is there any way to “disinfect” the live plants in the aquarium and reuse them? Or do I have to just throw them away and start over? I was thinking of setting up a 10gallon for more shrimp, would it be possible to use the same rocks, plants, substrate if I clean them? 

I have also attached pictures of the little guys, hopefully this will help others with the same problem catch it in time. 

C9D0AD85-B0A1-43D0-98DA-4B7F5BD7B493.jpeg

42461505-B775-42C3-A647-9918F8BDE646.jpeg

9FCACB1E-06B7-4600-B9BC-F58BA30043BF.jpeg

01C49DD2-F3EC-498E-A84D-5EDA5643C97E.jpeg

jayc
12 hours ago, Fry4friends said:

Is there any way to “disinfect” the live plants in the aquarium and reuse them?

dip them in malachite green. 

• Like 1