• Similar Content

• YoloDaBolo
      By YoloDaBolo
      PLZ HELP ūüôā¬†
    • BID
      By BID
      Hi!
      I found today the smallest of my 6 shrimp dead and can't figure out why and am hoping for help. They seemed generally less active in the last week or two, and I have noticed that they fan their belly flaps quite a lot (though none of my shrimp are berried, at least I am pretty sure, the eggs always seem pretty obvious on photos). Is it maybe too little oxygen? 
      The dead shrimp appears completely normal to me, and I found it lying on its side in the middle of the tank, still flapping it's belly fins. I put it in a glass with tank water where aber about 15minutes it stopped moving completely, even if prodded. 
      It shouldn't be a shedding issue, as I think this shrimp has shed about 4 days ago. It's the smallest of the 6 (almost half the size of my biggest) so I figured it must be juvenile and it shouldn't be age.
      I do have some worms in there that I can't seem to get rid of, but I'm quite sure none of them are planaria. Seems to be some sort of white flat worm that usually sticks to the glass and very thin hair like ones that float around. 
      All my cherry shrimp are solid red, so I can't see if they have bacterial infection. There always seems to be one of two that are paler/mottled but as they shed I think it's that? I have a hard time keeping them apart tbh
      I did a 50% water change and removed most of the floating plants in case there wasn't enough aeration.
      My goal with making this post is to maybe find out what might have killed it/how to avoid further deaths. I'm happy for any advice!

Background/setup: 
      This is my first aquarium, just as a disclaimer, so I'm gonna list...everything, not that I oversaw sth stupid.
      I got 6 cherry shrimp and 5 MTS(that have made about two dozen babies by now) approx. 5 weeks ago. The tank had been set up and running w/ plants and filter 4 weeks before that.
      It's ~25L, running a sponge filter with air pump, have some java fern and moss, wood, flourite black sand, and dwarf grass(?) and a lot of tiny floating plants on top. The light sold with the aquarium (very bright) and a desk lamp (less bright) that I use sporadically.
      They get fed JBL 'Nano Prawn' pellets (which they don't seem to be fond of) and sometimes blanched spinach/peas/lettuce (which they will fight eachother for). Would they starve themselves for not getting the beloved spinach&peas???
      Measured half an hour ago upon finding the dead shrimp:
      PH: 7.2  
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrite: 0
      Nitrate: ~5 (now probably 2.5 as I just did a 50% water change)
      Temp: 22-24C
      I do use dechlorinator (tetra tap safe).
      I currently don't have a gh/kh test but it's on the shopping list. They have a small piece (2x2cm) of cuttle bone permanently floating around the tank, as Glasgow water is supposedly soft and between snails and shrimp i figured they'd need it.
      It has been stable like this for at least 3 weeks now, before that, week 1-2 of having the shrimp, the ph was a little lower and small amounts of ammonia/nitrite.
      From what I read this should all be fine? 
    • Chris0zx6r
      By Chris0zx6r
      Hi, I’ve got a 55 litre tank with some guppies, cardinal tetras, panda and peppered cories, amano shrimp and cherry shrimp (oh and a few unintentional snails). I’ve just discovered that there are maybe 10 tiny cherry shrimp (less than 2mm) underneath a piece of wood in the tank. Will they survive with the other species in the tank or should I put them in a breeding box at the top of the tank (I already have one) to stop them becoming fish food! Never had anything breed in the tank so far, so not sure what’s best.
      Thanks, Chris 
    • Shr1mpie
      By Shr1mpie
      So, I am wanting to breed my Cherry Shrimp, and I have everything down packed apart from one thing, do they really need a light? So when doing research I usually read, but I decided to watch a video on breeding cherry shrimp, I had everything correct (apart from a heater, debatable), but it said you need a light, this is a problem, because I am planing on keeping Java Moss in the tank, but Java Moss doesn't like full light 24/7, so, the guy said that male shrimp need the light to see and identify the female shrimp to be able to breed, is this true?
      Any info will help a lot! Thanks!
    • Shr1mpie
      By Shr1mpie
      I rescently got my first few Shrimp ever. I put them in a new tank with two Common Bristlenose Catfish. I have three Nija/Chameleon Shrimp and four Red Cherry Shrimp. And I was wondering what fish would be the best type of fish to keep with them. I want I nice school of fish to swim around in my tank, but I also want them to be friendly enough not to have a go at the Shrimp. Although I know all fish will want to or try to eat the shrimp, I would just like a fish that schools, remains ralitivly small and has a low chance of going for my shrimp.
      Also, I was wondering what the shrimp eat, and how often I should feed them. I have read a lot on this but it all varies. I have given them spinach that has been put in hot water for one minute then cooled under some cold water, but the don't seem to be touching it. And once I do find the right food, should I feed them once ever two day, or once every week. The other thing is, will the eat the algi pellets that I feed to the Bristlenose Catfish?
      Thanks in advanced! -Shr1mpie

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• incomplet
      Hey everyone from SKF,  I'm a long time lurker; but recently have gotten back into the shrimp keeping hobby in the past 12 months. I'm after any constructive advice to help guide me in the right direction. I've kept some blue bolts in a 1 foot cube which has been somewhat successful; however due to an ongoing infestation of numerous hitch-hikers. I've decided to start again. There are some amphipods which are now breeding quite rapidly. Some worms which are swimming around in the aquarium, planaria which i've tried to keep at bay with No Planaria (the product doesn't work after only been used once or twice in 6 months, worked wonders the first time around). I'm planning to fish out the blue bolts and acclimatize them into a bigger tank whilst i restart the tank. I'm after any advice to see what is the best way to restart; my plans so far are as listed. 1) Remove Blue bolts and place in another tank 2) Siphon out all the gravel and bin it 3) Toss the media in the HOB; leave sponge filter in aquarium 4) Run the filter system for 1 week with a mix of bleach and water to fully rid of all the problems 5) Drain the tank and then place some new ADA soil into the base of the aquarium 6) Fill the tank with RO and seachem prime for another week 7) Empty tank and fill with RO remineralised with Salty Shrimp, new media in the HOB, sponge filter to remain the same. 8 ) undertake a 4-6 week fishless cycle   9) Reintroduce 20% of the BB colony; wait 2 weeks 10) If all is well reintroduce the other 80% after. Thinking it will take 6-8 weeks before i can start again. Thoughts?
    • incomplet
      I have used this product for the past 2 months with some good results with my blue bolts, there has been higher success rate with the shrimplets and in my opinion the survival rates are higher than they were previously. I've put in an order for some more to keep me going; i was first introduced to the product in an interview i read with Glenn Ng and decided to try the product myself. I use the recommended dosage once a day might skip a few days here and there, stronger hues in the blue from my juvenile BB's.  
    • DEL 707
      I managed to buy some kind of filter replacement kit at my LFS. Handy thing was that it come with a grill, so I just cut it to shape and shoved it in. Love the lil guys. Was thinking of giving it another week, then maybe ordering some cheery and amano shrimp from Pro-Shrimp. None of my LFS sell amano unfortunately.
    • Steensj2004
      Hmmmm, I might not risk it until the population explodes a bit more
    • sdlTBfanUK
      There is always a risk with fish but most think they are 90% safe with Pygmy Cory and will just eat the odd baby shrimp accidentally!  Simon
√ó
√ó