Sign in to follow this  
Tyler345

Weird worm type things

Tyler345

Hi guys, 

I've just done a 40% water change on my 60L RCS Tank. I did a more thorough clean of the sand, scrubbed off algae etc today.

After I'd filled the tank back up (Water had C02, Fertiliser, Bacter AE and Water Conditioner in all part of my usual routine) I noticed that there were these really strange worm type things swimming around in the water. Around 20/30 and only about 2/3mm in length (I've attached a photo).

I am just wondering if anybody has had these before or know what they are. I'm not overly concerned for the shrimp as they are tiny little things, but would be good to know what i'm dealing with and how they got there!

Thanks

Shrimp 2.png

shrimp.jpg

jayc
10 hours ago, Tyler345 said:

I am just wondering if anybody has had these before or know what they are

Looks like a Nematode (roundworm), if it's free swimming.

If it was crawling on the glass, then it would be a Planaria (flatworm).

But it looks more like a nematode to me. 

Both are harmless, except for the fact that they are unsightly if you have too many of them.

They thrive on excessive waste in the tank and usually live in the substrate, venturing out occasionally. 

Fish would keep them in check by eating them, but in a shrimp only tank, they can multiply if there is excess food source. Vacuuming the substrate occasionally will help reduce their numbers.

Tyler345

Thanjs Jayc that's really helpful.

I was feeding half a spoon of Bacter AE each day but I had a feeling that was too much. So i've stopped feeding them at the moment.

I am planning on putting 3/4 Zebra Loach or 2 golden gouramis in the tank to clean them up - Is this a wise idea or will it impact my RSC? There's plenty of hiding space in the 60L tank my RCS are in. 

Thanks again

jayc
5 hours ago, Tyler345 said:

gouramis

The gouramis will eat your shrimp. Don't risk it.

You will never eradicate nematodes completely anyway.

Tyler345

I'm over the moon today as I've had my first batch of little shrimp, so obviously I don't want to lose any of those. 

Would a small group of Neon Tetras? I don't want to completely eradicate, but currently there's about 50-60.

jayc
11 minutes ago, Tyler345 said:

Neon Tetras?

I have seen neons attack adult shrimp. But many others have kept neons with shrimp just fine. The baby shrimp however will not be safe. 

You need smaller fish, smaller than neons like galaxy rasboras, or spotted blue eyes.

Madmerv

Even the smallest of fish will eat a new hatched shrimp so if you want to keep all the shrimpets then no fish is safe. If you have plenty of mossy hiding places the the fish @jayc recommended will just thin out the population but still leave some that hide until big enough.

My culls are put into a QT tank until about 4-5mm before going into the tank with tetras. I have seen plenty of berried shrimp in there but never a baby.

jayc

Madmerv is right.  Don't worry about getting rid of the nematodes. The fish won't get rid of all of them, only the free swimming ones. There will be more hiding in the substrate.

So just feed the shrimp sparingly. Shrimp can survive well if fed every 2-3 days. No need to feed them daily.

NoGi

Hmmmmmm live fish food ?

Matuva

You can use NoPlanaria to get rid of the nematodes. It is shrimp safe.

That being said, these worms are harmless. Just reduce feeding, and their number will reduce accordingly. I believe there are nematodes in mostly all of my tanks, I can see one swimming, time to time.
Most of the time they spend their time in the substrat or the filter, seeking for food

Tyler345

Thanks for all the help guys. 

I added 3 Ottos into the tank to help clean it up for a bit, hopefully they won't harm my shrimp.

I'm using Bacter AE to feed them and have cut that down. I now feed them half of the given measuring cup every 2/3 days since I only around 10/12 shrimps. I do have algae wafers at my disposal. Do you think I need to alter my feeding?

Thanks again 

jayc
47 minutes ago, Tyler345 said:

I now feed them half of the given measuring cup every 2/3 days since I only around 10/12 shrimps. I do have algae wafers at my disposal. Do you think I need to alter my feeding?

Thanks again 

The amount fed sounds better now. If you use a feeding dish, that would help as well; to keep the food out of the substrate.