fishmosy

Protect your biofilm

fishmosy

There are some times when you need to drop the water levels in your tank, for example, to change substrate. 

You've spent potentially months or even years cultivating a nice layer of biofilm on the walls of your tank. So how do you stop the biofilm from drying out and dying off? 

The simple solution is gladwrap/cling film/clingwrap. Simply lay a piece over each wall of your tank to keep in the moisture.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee8b00e7a0afa0c9dcbda1fecd4832af.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a29389fc3ad31a04ffc42f1f71b1c647.jpeg

And when you refill the tank it will float to the surface for easy removal. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ccf3833d19b5f1d7c137ccccc6bd8d8a.jpeg

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 4

revolutionhope

Very good to know!

Shrimpmaster

Good tip.

I wonder how much the new (cold) water will effect the biofilm, but it's less then to dry out for sure.

fishmosy

I havent noticed any ill effects, though I dont tend to add water that is very cold. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Have you tested the tank parameters as that is the most important one? The tank looks good. Have you removed all the rock? If you have and the parameters (Ph) are going down with the water changes then you have probably sorted that part of the problem. If not I would try removing all the rock at this stage (you can always put it back later?) I left my rock a week in the test water before testing so you may be being too impatient, test again in another 4 days as it won't instantly rise it will take time to slowly increase the Parameters (Ph) I expect? Some occupants were probably weak/sick by the stage you started 'messing' with the parameters etc, and changing the parameters may have just been too much or too late for some, if they were already weak/sick? Simon
    • Crabclaw
      I did the tests tonight, and URGH! Results were useless... I left gravel and the rocks in water for 3 days, and showed the tiniest change (if at all...). I also tried the vinegar test with white vinegar, but also had no reaction. In the meantime I have lost the rocket killie that was originally sick, and another 1 or 2 😭. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP! Should I try with hyrdochloric (or muriatic or even citric) acid just to be sure? And would it have to be pure? Upside-down strip comparison (srry) My interpretations: (note- the gravel was in much less water, water barely went over the gravel, but was in for less time (12 hours)) The rocks and gravel And my problematic tank in all its bad blurry phone photo glory:
    • Crabclaw
      Yeah I'm planning on doing that with tts and blue dreams or blue/carbon rillis, cuz tts can do neo parameters (or so I've heard)
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I have ordered the above book I wanted, woohoo!!! Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I won't hold my breath that it stops there either?????????????? I would probably combine the culls in one tank if you can get the parameters the top end of caridina and the 2 types don't cross breed so don't need to be separated. Simon