• Similar Content

• revolutionhope
      By revolutionhope
      Hey SKF,
      I've recently started adding 2ppm of nitrates to my weekly/fortnightly waterchanges as my tank constantly had zero nitrates and my plants were looking hungry. The product I use is cal aqua labs green.
      I'd like to know what people's experiences or opinions are on whether small amounts of fertiliser can be added to shrimp tanks WITHOUT dripping it in slowly (as in a typical waterchange which is what I'm currently doing)
      In other words; if I directly dose the 1 or 2 ppm worth of nitrates to my aquarium without slowly dripping it into the tank would it have any negative impact on the health and/or breeding of crystal or tiger shrimps?
      love n peace
      will
    • larrymull
      By larrymull
      Hi Guys,
      My nitrates continue to read above 20, sometimes 40 and I have no idea how to keep them down. All other parameters are fine ph 6.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2kh, 4gh, 195 TDS (it has crept up a bit too much for my liking).
      Anyway some simple things for you to know is that my tank has a layer of frogbit, I do not overfeed (feed every 2nd or 3rd day), weekly 10% water changes using RO water, I also have boss mineral balls, IAL leaf, Benibachi zero, golden vine with xmas moss, 1 aqua clear hob filter and a biospon 56l dual sponge. 
      I do not want to go down the path of using peat moss, I just want to be able to control the nitrates naturally. 
      I would appreciate any thoughts - my plan of attack this weekend is to do at least a 25% water change (this takes forever to do when you are dripping the RO water back in to the tank) and was going to clean the sponge in the HOB filter.

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Matuva
      Hi there buddies wanted to show you pics of pipefishes I caught in the wild, Microphis brachyurus and Microphis cruentus. Unfortunately, I now exceed the limit quota of attachments on my profile. Will try to fix that issue ...
    • Crabclaw
      My vote is for Endlers. Mine are the most fascinating (from a fish lovers point of view here) and cute fish in my tank, but I reckon they would be perfect for you, as mine are constantly picking on stuff! They’re the only fish who eat my dreaded snail eggs (on the glass and other surfaces) which I love! Plus you don’t need heaps. Males are small if you just want them for this. And you will be able to get them anywhere.   I have a school of 20 embers in my tank, but I rarely see them hunting in any manner, much less on surfaces.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      In case it helps I have looked up the figures of the 2 tanks with cherry shrimp in them and they are as follows, Main tank     PH7,, GH5, KH2, TDS 225 (mixed water) Betta tank  PH7.5, GH6, KH3, TDS 222 (tap water + mineraliser) They are fairly similar to each other but neither is really in the 'IDEAL' recommendation range of CHERRY shrimp ,so it confirms that cherry shrimp are more adaptable and can thrive even outside those 'IDEAL' parameters? I suppose neither are that far out but it just shows there is a bit less necessity to get everything 100%, though if you aim for perfect you will probably get better results all round? Simon
    • jayc
      Oh, if you are planning on keeping Cherry shrimp aim for 6-8GH as Simon said above.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Do you know what the water parameters are of this tank? Is the new male old enough to breed, assume it is as they only need to be 3 months I think but is that a possibility? Simon