R/O Water confusion

uslanja

My R/O water shows ph at 6.5, nitrate at 20 ppm and tds at 147.  I have Salty Shrimp GH/KH +Minerals that we want to use, but have not at this point.  We want this tank to house the Neocaridina "Painted Fire Red" shrimp.  How would I use the remineralizer to raise ph but not tds?  What further testing and/or filtering can be used to further improve the R/O water, or is it good the way it is?  Any and all advice about testing, filtering, or anything else that comes to mind is gratefully accepted.  And, once we obtain good water, how do I switch my tank over while acclimation the only 2 shrimp that I have left?  Why didn't I just stick to my screen saver shrimp?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by uslanja

• HOF Member

your RO water should be close to 0 when no additives such as salty shrimp are present by the time the reading shows 10 -12 -if you even allow them to get that high - you should be changing the filters.. I suggest you test again and if the reading is correct you need to change your filters -which should be done 6-12 monthly and also possibly the membrane which should be done around 2 years depending on size of your RO filter.  Depending on your unit you should change the first filter 6 monthly and the filter after the membrane 12 monthly . When making your RO water the tap should only be on fairly slowly -if you run the tap too fast the filters can't work properly and you put the filter under too much pressure.

We have a great sponsor FSA filter systems who can go through your maintainence routine with you . They are extremely helpful and can get that side sorted for you very quickly.

• Like 1

@uslanja

Are you saying that the water coming out of the R/O untouched has a TDS of 147? If so, that's not right. The TDS should be close as possible to 0. If it isn't then I believe that indicates the DI Resin inside needs replacing.

"DI resin removes the mineral content back to Zero which is great for the fish but not so good for your health. When the DI removes the residual mineral which include natural pH buffers, the pH of the water plummets to below acceptable levels for drinking water."

Edited by neo-2FX
What ineke said!
  • Like 1

• HOF Member

Just remember not all filters have DI Resin only the aquarium RO filters have the added DI resin cartridge. It can be added to a normal RO filter and again the resin needs changing regularly depending on how much you use the filter. I make about 120 litres a week so change mine about 8 monthly . I only have a small portable unit so change often for bigger units it may not be necessary as often .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, uslanja said:

And, once we obtain good water, how do I switch my tank over while acclimation the only 2 shrimp that I have left?

Once you sort out your RO filter media as suggested, which should be reading close to 0 TDS and nitrates, then all you need to do is catch the two remaining shrimp in a separate temporary container. Replace all the water in the tank with treated RO water adjusted with Salty Shrimp to TDS 150, pH 7, temp 22-24deg C. Then drip acclimatise the two shrimp to the new parameters slooowwwwwly.

Thank you to everyone for your help.  RO water from a Water Store was obtained.  That water was tested by the store owner and a reading; TDS 12, nitrate 02, PH 6.5 was obtained.  I could not find deionized water anywhere.  15 gallons of that water was brought home.  Salty Shrimp GH/KH + Minerals was mixed as per the instruction.  Our  last surviving cherry shrimp was moved to a container with its existing water and drip acclimated over a period of 12 hours.  The shrimp tank was drained and refilled with the new mix.  That last lone surviving shrimp is clearly very tough being the last of 38, so.........it has been named "Chuck Norris".  Chuck is doing well and clearly in need of a few more new friends.  Thank you again for all of the help!

During this very stressful and nail biting time we discovered quite a bit about water and filtration methods.  We have a small farm and live on a well with a septic system.  What we have learned contrary to the accepted "sales pitch" is that there are 3 common types of RO Membranes and not one of them can produce 100% pure water.  Various "things" found in water may be reduced but not completely removed.  We are now in the process of beefing up our home water treatment system.  Not only for "Chuck" but for the humans in the house also............. after all, who would look after Chuck?

Water is carrying more pollutants now than ever before and constantly changing.  Test your wash and drinking water.  We were surprised to learn that our system is no longer keeping up.

Dave

Great advice as always guys. I used an RO system in SA (Port Wakefield) for the house water, showering etc and rain water for drinking and cooking ( and my fish). The RO unit filters were changed every 6 weeks terrible water and softeners were also used. 

Posting the above mainly to remind everyone that a dirty filtration unit can be more detrimental as the filth in the filters slowly seep out of the filter, you can actually smell the difference in a clean unit compared to a dirty unit. This also applies to filter carbon hence the requirement to change carbon, if you actually use it, as the carbon once loaded will release toxins back into the water. Same applies to portable filtering units people buy for drinking water. 

13 hours ago, uslanja said:

been named "Chuck Norris".

Love is name.  Go Chuck!

I'm glad you have resolved your water problems for now.