Fluval c2 filter

Shep

Anyone have any experiance with this filter? 

Thinking about one for my 45cm 32l CRS tank but dont want to make to much current. And also has to be quiet cause its in my bedroom. 

Hoping someone here has used it and can give me some info

Shep

Hi Shep,

I personally only have experience with using canisters and sponge filters in shrimp tanks. If you haven't bought the C2 yet then I would say that for the cost of a filter like that you could get a very nice quality air-pump and run a sponge filter instead. I think for most shrimp keepers air-driven sponge filters are the filter of choice. Of course the benefit of filters that hold media is that you can easily put carbon or macropore/purigen if you were in a bind. Is that the reason why you're keen on a HOB and not a sponge? Hope i've been helpful somehow :-)

love n peace

will

8 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

Hi Shep,

I personally only have experience with using canisters and sponge filters in shrimp tanks. If you haven't bought the C2 yet then I would say that for the cost of a filter like that you could get a very nice quality air-pump and run a sponge filter instead. I think for most shrimp keepers air-driven sponge filters are the filter of choice. Of course the benefit of filters that hold media is that you can easily put carbon or macropore/purigen if you were in a bind. Is that the reason why you're keen on a HOB and not a sponge? Hope i've been helpful somehow :-)

love n peace

will

Hey Will Thanks heaps for your input. the reason I'm not using an air driven filter is just because I didn't want anything to bulky in the tank and I like the way I can add media etc. and the sound of the bubbles will probably keep me up as the tank is a few metres from my bed.

• Like 1

Shep, I know your exact annoyance. I've got three tanks in my room and while I have no experience with the Fluval C2, I've found that my ISTA hang on is much noisier than the air driven. Both very different noise. Hang on is more of a hum whereas the air driven sponge is more of a popping noise. It's up to you what you'd prefer. I know I'd take a cannister any day due to noise and ability to add media etc. 

Hopefully someone with it can chime in but it may be worth looking at a cheap cannister. I use an Eheim 2213 on my 40L and it's awesome! Quiet and great filter. Maybe look at the Eden filters.

• Like 1

+1 love the eheim 2213 / classic250. I bought plenty of them secondhand and barely had to replace a part :-)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you find that you get to much flow with the 2213 or its ok? dont wanna blow the shrimp to narnia

I personally think it's overkill for a 45cm but there's definitely options. I just close the double taps which limits the output or you can create a spraybar that disperses better. Eheim also had the AquaCompact 40 which would suit that size tank but I think it's no longer sold. You may be able to find it online somewhere for about $100. For that price though I'm pretty sure you could get the smallest Eden filter. I don't have experience with the Eden filters but plenty others on here do :D

• Like 1

Modifying spraybar with additional holes pointing opposite (jayc has a diy thread on this) would do the trick. My personal lazy choice is to point the spray bar directly against the glass. 2fx and I had a discussion about this last year if i recall lol

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Eden 501 canister is actually just the sort of thing i have been looking for haha. Thanks guys, appreciate all the help.

should like nice tucked away behind the tank with a set of lily pipes.

• Like 2