Dead Shrimp

Shrimpy

:sorrow: Hi everyone... just wanted to express my anger and frustration after witnessing my high grade shrimp dying... :sorrow:

Later this evening, as i walked into my room to have a glance at my shrimp tank checking out all the new shrimplets i find my high grade CRSs stationary..

I thought it was just tired or something like that... but a few minuets later it was on its side, at this point i was so sad and pissed... my money had been went down the drain and i loss $ XXX.

Furthermore i have no idea what has caused this... my pH is 6.0 temp 24 and running a cannister filter in the nano tank... in addtion with a sochting oxydator.

hey shrimpy.... having the same issue up here just not high grades...

Great... two more shrimps dead.... and just found out my pair of SS just died...:sorrow:....

Unforunately i only have the pH test....

Right now my pH is 6.0 temp was 24

Hi Shrimpy (& Jacet), sorry to hear...very heart wrenching..we've all experience it, and no doubt will continue to do so. Few common reasons, from moulting (check your GH), age, natural causes (yes it does happen, like us humans), BUT at this time of the year with summer approaching, lack of oxygen in the water column is common. Unsure whether the weather there has been warm (warmer...), but the change in condition/humidity can affect the tanks O2 level. I tend to increase or add surface turbulence (o2 exchange) via air stones, or even do a small water change. Next time you see a half lifeless shrimp, increase the o2 in the tank or move the shrimp next to an airstone, as this can revive it.

So sorry to hear your loses mate. I've been through hell like this before and sometimes there's simply no reason, but lets work out the following just in case you have more deaths.

- did you introduce anything new to the tank?

- when was the last changes? Water, filter, feeding, etc.

- how old is the tank?

- how many shrimps are in the tank?

- did you or others in the household did any cleaning or sprayed chemical into the air? Even if its rooms away or neighbors doing pest control.

Since you have a nano tank, I can tell you first hand that parameters will spike in such a small volume. Best to have a master test kit ready always to find out the parameter, if nothing else it's good to check regularly before any issues occur.

I think the oxygen level should be sound if you have an oxydator in there. Calm down if you can and analyse why it's happening. If you want to do a water change make sure it's no more than 20% and make sure water parameters are similar like pH and TDS/EC via drip line. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips bluebolts and Sprae.... hopefully i can recover the loss

Sorry for the losses mate.

Worse thing you can do at the moment is freak out and start changing things and adding thing etc.

Best thing to do would be get some test kits, KH, GH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite etc and test everything and make sure they're all stable.

What gH levels are considered bad for shrimp? I usually aim for between 4-6 gH. Is a reading of 7 for example significantly too high? Would it be enough to make the shell too thick to moult?

What gH levels are considered bad for shrimp? I usually aim for between 4-6 gH. Is a reading of 7 for example significantly too high? Would it be enough to make the shell too thick to moult?

I'd think anything get to north of GH 8 is bad, but don't have the experience to say any worse. If you're controlling the water minerals via RO water with SS BSM GH+ then your GH will always remain at 6.