Where all good shrimp go

fish4fish3

This is my 8ltr nano hex tank. I bought it at a garage sale for $5 and it scrubbed up nice enough for wifey to let me put it on the coffee machine.

small0831.jpg

I had gutted out the filter system and installed an under gravel filter covering the back half of the black silica substrate. The under gravel filter has a 25mm PVC pipe that I gave a rough sand to before installing it so the christmas moss can attach itself. The PVC pipe protrudes through the surface and is filled with coral chunks 2cm. The power head that came with the unit has been manipulated to skim the water from the top of the pipe and return it to the tank at 200l/ph. I think it may be about half that but still effective and produces enough surface break for oxygen. The hood has an inbuilt 8x 1W LED light in it but most light for the plants is via windows on either side as the LED makes only a good night light.

small0814.jpg

Some of the good shrimp! lol These are a couple of the best cherrys I've got. Male and female are from different bloolines bred in complete different regions of Australia! I have at the moment 5 females and 2 males and still working on the 3rd male. there is 1 more male in a garage tank and he has even more red but keeps jumping behind the filter when I come round with the net... score: shrimp 12 me 0... there's always next time

small0838.jpgsmall0832.jpg

Night light mode... Like I said the light is week but really effective look at night with the blue tinge in the LED light but really you have to see in person to appreciate as automated cameras even with MACRO are crap.

Cheers f4f

post-523-13990985791_thumb.jpg

They are nice little tanks aren't they? I had on for a while with some native blue eyes in it, Enjoy SKF mate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BrDSEY8KE  
    • beanbag
      One interesting thing he mentioned was "Bacteria pressure", which I guess just means number of bacteria around.  Yet I see all these other videos from shrimpkeepers bragging about how much bacteria their filtering system holds. Also interesting is no mention of using anti-biotics to treat bacterial infection.  I think that has fallen out of favor recently.
    • sdlTBfanUK
    • sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.