My DIY Cooler

perplex

So i decided a long time ago to buy this, but never got around to doing anything about it, until now

Its a water filter and cooler, and i decided to convert it into my shrimp cooler for this summer

ive just tested it as much as i can, until my power supply decided to blow XD running a 2 amp pump with a 1 amp power supply doesnt last to long (20 mins XD)

temp in the cooler got to about 8c, pump water temp was 18.8c before i started the pump, ran the pump for 20 mins and got to 17.8 and thats was about 10L of water, not the fastest of things but all i want is to drop 3c in summer

This is the part where the water is cooled

2uo6mfm.jpg

now ive coiled up the pipe inside, i did pipe because i didnt know what the coating was inside (black coating)

1z3q70j.jpg

This is it closed with the inlet and outlet ready

35jvy82.jpg

it fitting in its foam case

i6m25k.jpg

it completely in its foam case

21o54xf.jpg

this is where the magic happens, to keep it short, there is a hot and cold side when you add power to it, the side you can see now is the hot side, and whats sweet about it, when you cool the hot side, the cold side gets even colder

2nuhsb7.jpg

this is the fan to make the hot side cooler so the cold side get freezing!!

9sxoae.jpg

its getting all back together now, its all inside ready to be sealed up

1id8bq.jpg

here is the finished product! you can see the pump and you can see the water shooting out, this will end up going to my tank

wl860h.jpg

This is the almost finished product next to my tank with the pump all connected

10dfew7.jpg

so now all i need to do it have it turn on and off by its self, ill be hooking up a temp controller to make the pump turn on and off, and cool the tank! ill post that when ever i get around to doing it

anyway hope you enjoyed

Edited by perplex
  • Like 6

I dont think he meant it as an insult, more so a lot of great ingenuity to re purpose something to benefit your shrimp :)

Good job and cant wait to hear how it goes in summer! definitely looks neat and tidy

• Like 1

I dont think he meant it as an insult, more so a lot of great ingenuity to re purpose something to benefit your shrimp :)

Good job and cant wait to hear how it goes in summer! definitely looks neat and tidy

nar not taken it as a insult, just i guess doesnt seem the right word for it to me

I'm sure if you put your mind to it you could turn that whole thing in to a filter/chiller for your shrimp tank  :-P great job dude! Macgyver would be so proud! 

Edited by buck

What's it like cooling wise ? 

Could it bring a 50litre tank down from 28/30 to 23/24  degrees and keep it there ? 

Im interested bigtime :) 

i dont see whats so ghetto about it...

Certainly not meant as an insult.

I used the word to mean "custom mod".

And yes, I think your mod is awesome and deserving of some sort of award. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

What would be cool to is if it still put out cold drinking water lol

you can, well could of, if i didnt fk up and drill a hole in the wrong side xD used silicon to patch it so yea.. but im sure it would be fine still

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

abit of an update...

i ended up getting the new power supply, and it made a hell of a noise so ive ordered a new one (it also electrocuted me.. LOL good old ebay quality.....)

so the new one is on the way. while i had it running for 20 mins to test out the new powersupply i decided the fan to cool my water was to loud, so i did abit of a mod and made a new one to fit. just an old pc fan i had laying around and yes its got speed controls LOL. so im hoping this will be better cooling and less noise.

ill add some other picture of it later, when the glue has dry and its standing up

2mc8upl.jpg

Edited by perplex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok so this will be my final update on editing it since it doesnt seem to have much interest, my final update will be during summer to see how it works

This is the temp monitoring. you just set the temp you want the pump to turn on at, and set the temp you want the pump to turn off at. so i currently set it to on at 26c and off at 24c

2nqd07l.jpg

this is it in its final place, i moved the pump

jzbgra.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good.

Cant wait to see how it goes for you man.

• 1 month later...

outcome so far, its not enough cooling, the transfer from the cooler to the tank pipes is fine, the cooler just cant keep the water cold enough, but i got good news

DIY Cooler Version 2.0 is in the planning stage!

This one, will use a compressor like the normal coolers, the pad just isnt enough, unless i add alot of them,  the cooler will be more easy for people to find :D

Edited by perplex
  • Like 1