Octagon nano

buck

I was at age of aquariums the other day I picked up a little green elements light and decided to do a scape in a little hex tank. I grabbed some mangrove wood for the centre piece and it fit like a glove! 

I already had an idea of what I wanted to do with the scape, Belem hair grass front and blyxa japonica at the back. I'm not sure if I'm still keen on the blyxa I might change it to a stem or my old fav hygrophila pinnatifida... But I'll see how I feel after the dry start has progressed more. 

The details

Tank: 25cm high and 25cm across octagon 

Soil: Ada Amazonia 

Filter: Aqua Eden 511

Light: green elements

Flora: Eleocharis Belem, I'll update the others when I decide.

Forna: atm I'm torn, being an octagon a betta would make for a sweet ufc thread title pun but I would also like a little school of rasbora brigittaeor similar micro fish(except celestial pearls been there done that haha). Then there is the colour of cherry to put in there, do I just put some yellows in or do I get some bloody marries... I have a while to work it out since after the dry start I have the Ada to cycle haha

image.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice. Pygmy cories and a betta? Or guppies? I'm in love with German white tail tuxedo guppies so I could be bias. They are the only ones I breed. Haha.

• Like 1

Guppies did cross my mind and so did pygmy corys, I’ve done the pygmy corys already and I think shrimp will be enough ground activity.

A pair of killifish did cross my mind too but I don’t know a great deal about them so was going to look in to them more, just worried the tanks to small. a pait of smaller wild bettas crossed my mind too but i wouldnt be putting any thing but cull yellows in with them haha

I need to see how the aqua Eden goes as well I might end up just getting a little hob filter if it’s to strong and then I’ll have to find a new tank for the eden… darn haha

I should have mentioned this tank is set up for my partner in her sewing room, luckly she has given me the freedom to do as I please with it!  

Edited by buck

That driftwood suits an octagon tank perfectly. 

You did well there. :cool:

• Like 1

That driftwood suits an octagon tank perfectly.

You did well there. :cool:

yeah i got very lucky! age of aquariums have some really nice wood!

Edited by buck

How did you convince her to keep a tank in her space? 

I need some tips!

HAHA !

Looking for an excuse for more tanks @Disciple?

@buck, have you decided on what to put in the new tank yet?

HAHA @jayc I have been trying to plant the idea of a nice new set up for the last month haha. I have to be very sneaky or get her a very expensive gift lol.

She likes the "tranquility" haha I have only made one call and that to put hygrophila pinnatifidaon the left side of the mangrove wood. The other side I'm still not sure... 

Forna wise I'm stumped, I'm indecisive so it will be an impulsive decision when the tanks ready to rock... I also flooded it today... Dry start shmy start!

The main l.e.ds are 10000k it looks very blue in pics but i person it's really nice.

So as I said I flooded it and here are the pics! I've dicided to go with the HOB filter, it's just easier, I do need to get a slightly bigger one but this little gem will to for the time being. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

i notice  the wood is starting to get some white fungusy biofilmy kind of stuff on it so i better get my bum in to gear and cycle it so i can get some shrimp in there, they love to munch on that stuff

• 3 weeks later...

I've been neglecting this tank but it's coming along ok for the amount of effort I've put in. 

I gave the Belem a trim to promote growth today and did a water change. Added a few drops of Ada green gains post trim to help it along.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The the tanks progressing well i seam to have a carpet of algea rather then hair grass but im sure that ill sort its self out as the tank matures. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Im aiming for a neon yellow colony, all my yellows with back stripes are in here now and a couple of solid  yellow boys.... But They all hide lots so that sucks