Shrimp club Victoria August 2nd

Shrimp club Victoria would like to welcome all to attend our next meeting on the 2ND August at 12:30pm. Address is 29 grant street, Clifton Hill. As always we will have a fun filled day, lots of discussion. We will have a group talk on the importance of selective breeding, and selecting the best male. Also Jesslyn will be talking scapes. Then we will have the usual big group talk, tell us what's happening in your tanks. Good or bad. Raffle, trade table, afternoon tea as always. Please bring a plate of food to share. Soft drink will be provides. Also if anyone has anything spare they would like to donate, either in the form of live shrimp, plants of products/equipment bring them along to add to the raffle, or for the club to sell to raise funds for the 2016 championships.

• Like 2

Sounds like a lot of fun.

If there's interest, and someone can guide me, I'm happy to attempt a live stream of part of the meeting. Maybe the group discussion towards the end?

• Like 1

This is on next weekend. Hope to see all melbournians/Victorians here :)

Good luck, hope everything goes to plan.

Any more details of the live stream?Or even a recording of the session on you tube would be cool for us interstate peeps.

Will see how we go. I'm not very tech savvy, I can use my phone, and laptop for basic stuff, everything else is over my head. Should already be able to record the talks hopefully

Meeting went well. Roughly 23/24 people attended. A handful of new faces which was great. I'll do a quick summary. Day started us thinking only 6 people would show so we started planning to move to the pub. After more arrived, and everyone had spent some money on the trade table, we had jesslyn talk us through some scapes (update on some from her last time speaking). Jesslyn is amazing to listen to with the process she goes through, and how she plans it out. After that we all sat around a table with afternoon tea, and had a big discussion on selective breeding, and the importance of the male/s. Cam lead this discussion, and was very good to hear everyone's experience and knowledge. After this we went through everyone to hear what's happening in their tanks, it's great seeing a mix of what everyone is keeping, from people with pinto projects, to some with just a tank or two of cherries, and even to natives. We also had a discussion, for what as a club people would like to do, as from the trade table the club has a bit of money, most goes towards the show, but we can always do more club stuff, so if anyone has suggestions let us know. Also, hopefully soon we can publish membership forms for anyone who can't make meetings is able to join. Membership is through the aquarium society of Victoria. You get a monthly email magazine with everything happening at the club, articles and more. And also means at next year's shrimp championship, you can pre register spots, and get a discount on shrimp entry fees.

• Like 1

Cheers lodo

Thanks for sharing i hope to make it there one day

Hope to see you here one day. Also hope to see clubs popping up everywhere. Was also discussed about if anywhere else is going to host shows. Which we would love. If your from nsw, sa or anywhere else and want a chance to be a judge, so we can have judges in all states let us know if your coming in March so we can get you involved. More judges = more clubs = more shows = better community.

• Like 1

Until we get confirmation WA fisheries has changed its policies regarding shrimp. I don't think a club in WA will be possible but saying this I have met a lot of great hobbyist here so we are still going strong.

Doesn't mean you can enter/come along to the show in March ;) means when laws do change (if they do) that WA could run a club and eventually a show

Baring an epic disaster I do plan to enter some shrimp in the next competition you guys hold. Even fly over to check it out if possible.

If they do change the laws over here I will be more then happy to throw some shrimps on the barbie! and have some gatherings for WA shrimp keepers.

If you do come over for the show let us know, can arrange to get you to be in on judging if you'd like. Plan is set up a program for people to become judges through an apprenticeship, so as to keep a high standard of judges but helping get judges in all states

If I do make it over I will contact you. As for judging i don't think I am at that level of knowledge and experience. I would enjoy learning how to judge.

• 1 year later...