My native snail

NoGi

Great photos, just wondering did you notice all the little yellow dots on the snails foot prior to taking the photos?

Thanks. Didn't really notice them as I wasn't looking out for them but suspected that they were there given my other native snail macros.

Fishmosy/ Ben and I have them with bright yellow and black feet, nice but we are seeing if they are going to be a pest??

Nice shots Nogi

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The snail in the first post is Stenomelania denisoniensis. I cant remember the name of the nerite. Bob, where are you? 

• 3 weeks later...

They look like nerites to me, the really fine stripped one looks like one I have seen Dave having (or at least had photos of)  and I think they came from northern WA. The other wider stripped I am sure is also a nerite. From memory the ones Dave knew about where fresh water nerites instead of being the usual brackish or pure marine.

Having a look and comparing pictures your first picture might be a Tiger Nerite

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nerite+snails&view=detailv2&&id=1E55DD07A6703A4895D4BFFAE6B4E0E94C94D787&selectedIndex=58&ccid=EWlMSNnK&simid=608034414823932128&thid=JN.Q8EC7OoaY0SfdbhQ0QzENQ&ajaxhist=0

Great looking snails.

• Like 1

They both kinda look like the Tiger Nerite looking at the Bing results. Mine burry themselves in the substrate when the lights are on.

Loving your snails and also loving seeing that I'm not the only one with dead snail shells in the tank.

• Like 1

Same for me, always happy to see the pest snails disappearing and the natives thriving

• 5 months later...

Those snails are gorgeous! Where did you get them from?

I've been trying to find out more about nerite snails but I'm a bit confused. Are nerite snails a marine species that venture into brackish water or are there different types? Are there any completely freshwater species? If they are native to Aus Where can I find them (natural habitat)? Can I purchase them from somewhere?

Nerites are found in both freshwater and marine ecosystems. The species found in freshwater have evolved from marine ancestors, hence why there are many more marine species than  brackish species, and even less freshwater species. However all known freshwater  nerites have planktonic larvae that require brackish or even saltwater to develop into little nerites. hence they can't breed in aquaria and get population blooms like other snails. Freshwater nerites occur in Aus - have a look at my posts in the field trip section - but are limited to the tropical north. Some brackish species from temperate areas may survive in freshwater aquaria but that may vary among species and individuals. Few people have them but they pop up for sale from time to time. 

Thanks for that fishmosy, nice explanation! Well, I guess going down to my local creek is out and I don't think I'll make it to the tropical North any time soon :-p Guess I will just keep an eye out for them..

I'm guessing it is difficult to tell the difference between a truly freshwater species and a brackish species when purchasing. I'm concerned because I've heard that people aclimate the brackish ones to freshwater and I'm not sure if sellers are upfront about that kind of thing. Are there any issues with keeping an aclimate brackish water nerite in my tropical tank?

No. Once acclimated brackish water nerites should do well in aquaria - assuming there is sufficient food for them and conditions are within their tolerances (no really high temperatures, water needs to be above pH 7).

• Like 1