Shrimp and Yabby

Yevy

That is really cool. Very nice pictures. Love the colour on that yabby. 

Yeah awesome. A mate has a lovely blue yabby in a tank and just the other night I was thinking about putting some shrimp in with it. Definitely inspired to go ahead now. 

post-1421-0-60948600-1427628516_thumb.jp

This is Dexter in the full. He is currently in with the cherry red shrimp and some baby guppies. Just put in a female cory to lay eggs (they get eaten by the adult guppies) but he is chasing her around a bit so will have to move her back soon. 

The only issue Dexter ever gives me is when I try adding plants - they all get uprooted, or eaten. 

My other tank has some more cherry red shrimp, guppies, a bristle nose and the cory with a resident crab with minimal issues so far. 

post-1421-0-64542000-1427630316_thumb.jp

post-1421-0-64139200-1427630324_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Try Foxtail, Ceratophyllum demersum. If you can't find any Dave usually has it up at Aquagreen. I know a yabby who eats everything else, but not Foxtail. 

I thought I already posted this but evidently did not. 

Yevy those pics look like somethinf out of a scifi movie. I just love the look of it and the combo of yabby and shrimp is awesome! My wife likes it too - wed want to keep it somewhere in our lounge probably though and wondering how smelly would it be ? Ive never kept one before but do they need lots of detritus etc to thrive?

Thanks, will definitely look into foxtail! Hopefully he won't eat it...or uproot them all

As to the smell, the tank doesn't smell any worse than my other tanks. It's generally cleaner than the other ones as well.

I feed Dexter pellets from my LFS and mix it up with lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and some other random veggies. And he LOVES calamari.

Just have to make sure he can't climb out of the Tank - dexter's predecessor escaped and ended drying up. 

post-1421-0-19975000-1427793938_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

This is so cool. Just got some yabbies now finally :-) can't believe I asked if the tank was smelly. Things we learn over a couple years of breeding experience.