New food type for shrimp - Shrimp Kandy Feast

jayc

• 2 weeks later...

I just did some few days ago, just adding 2 tea spoons ofAstaxanthin and reducing Chlorella from 3 to 2 teaspoons. Other than that, all original recipe.

Just drop some in the tank:

IMG_3783.thumb.JPG.257df72cf5c3736c0212f

4 minutes after:

IMG_3784.thumb.JPG.938bfae6ff2f47255452f

Happy shrimps ;)

I cut the food in small squares and stored it in the freezer . I have no deshydartor, but I wonder if I can let it dry in the sun for a full day and then store it in the freezer?

• Like 1

What a wonderful sight to see the shrimps enjoying dinner.

As for storage, I have not perfected it yet.

Do what you have to for now. Try different methods to see what works best.

Hi @jayc

After trying your fantastic DIY RO reminelarising method I am keen to try your DIY food recipe

I have found a company locally that sells a all in one super food.

So my question is, do you think this would work, say adding 4 teaspoons of this mix to the agar agar?

Sorry, its quite a long list, but please tell me if you see anything that might be dangerous or a no go for shrimp?

Greens Blend-Proprietary 2500 mg
Barley Grass Juice Powder
(Certified Organic)
Chlorella (Japanese Cracked Cell Wall)
Spirulina USA (Certified Organic)
Vegetable Blend-Proprietary 1500 mg
(Certified Organic)
Carrot Juice Powder
Broccoli Juice Powder
Cauliflower Juice Powder
Spinach Juice Powder
Parsley Juice Powder
Kale Juice Powder
OxiSure™ Blend -Proprietary 300 mg
Concentrated Extract (Certified Organic) 
ActiveX Carrot Juice and Carrot Powder, 
Green Tea extract (decaf), Blueberry, Plum, Grape
Seed Extract, Cranberry, Raspberry, Tart
Cherry, Pine Bark Extract, Broccoli Powder,
ActiveX Tomato, ActiveX Spinach,
ActiveX Kale, ActiveX Brussels Sprout
Soya Lecithin 1800 mg (GMO Free)
Phosphatides (97%)
Fiber Blend-Proprietary 1950 mg
Oat Betaglucan (Certified Organic)
Apple Fiber Pectin
Brown Rice Bran
Enzyme Blend 200 mg
Bromelain Extract (80 GDU Per Gram)
Papain
Protease
Amylase
Lipase
Cellulase
Lactase
Probiotics (Dairy Free) 200 mg
L. Acidophilus
S. Thermophilus
L. Bifidum
B. Brevis
L. Bulgaricus
Other Ingredients
Sprouted Barley Malt 200 mg
(Certified Organic)
Green Tea Extract, Decaf (60% Polyphenols) 100 mg
Quercetin (98% Dihydrate) 100 mg
Resveratrol 100 mg
Milk Thistle Seed Extract
(80% Silymarin)
Red Beet Root 50mg (Certified Organic)
Cinnamon Powder 50 mg (Certified Organic)
Aloe Vera Gel Powder 50 mg (Certified Organic)
Tumeric Rhizome Extract 20 mg
(85% Curcuminoids)
Atlantic Kelp Powder 15 mg ( Certified Organic)
Licorice Root Extract 5 mg
Other Ingredients: Natural Flavors, Stevia, Citric Acid

Thanks
  • Like 2

@Maurice Wow what a list! 

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in that long list.

Your shrimps will have a better dietary intake than you will with this blend.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

That's a very nice ingredient list Maurice. Remember though, if you're trying to do the best for your shrimp they have a dietary requirement for Cholesterol and PUFAs that can only be realistically obtained from animal sources. Those sources should be other invertebrates, not fish. 

• Like 1

Your shrimps will have a better dietary intake that you will with this blend.

LOL, you know how important shrimp get too us

Thanks for your reply.

I will give it a try and see how the shrimp react to their new food

Hi all,

Ok, I got the ingredients, a little different as what jayc's recommendation, but still sourcing bee pollen and chlorella powder to do another batch with them.

Here are a couple of pictures of the process

Getting everything in place

photo%203_zpskh8x48tv.jpg

photo%205_zpsiluw0ngb.jpg

photo%204_zps310jmgsb.jpg

I made 2 bathes, one like jayc's method and then like shrimp daddy like on his website, but the shrimp daddy's method didnt work out so good

Jayc method, worked great, will add some photos when I feed the shrimps

photo%202_zpsyvxdatsg.jpg

Even Zazo, our Jack russel couldnt resist the good smell :)

photo%201_zpscteqzxuu.jpg

Thanks @jayc for another great DIY

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1 have 10 mixed grade pure BB in this tank, the only time I see the females come to the front of the tank is when I feed them JayC Kandy Feast.   Within 10 minutes of placing Kandy in the tank, every little shrimp comes out. Great time to check numbers & look for berried girls

DSC00553.JPG

DSC00566.JPG

DSC00572.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

If anyone is into making their own shrimp foods...

ALDI is stocking the following on Wed 17 Feb:

• Kale powder 100g
  • Beetroot powder 100g
  • Spirulina powder 125g
  • Greens powder 125g
  • Slippery Elm bark powder 125g

$9.99 per pack.

These would be great for making more Shrimp Kandy Feast.

And on Sat 20 Feb, Aldi are selling Epsom Salts, aka Magnesium Sulphate 1kg for $4.99. Great for making your own DIY mineralised mix.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Xander said:

it's amazing info! Thank U ALL!!!

Show us pics if you try it.

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Покажите нам фотографии, если вы попробуете.

Ok!

• 3 months later...

Another brilliant read. Thanks for your input @jayc

Can’t wait to try it out. 

15 hours ago, Kingo said:

Can’t wait to try it out. 

You know the deal Kingo, post pics of your shrimp eating it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 7:50 AM, jayc said:

You know the deal Kingo, post pics of your shrimp eating it.

011700E3-E68A-4131-AE6A-C9F5D584E846.png

• Like 1

There is currently a food war going on in both my nanos’! 

Failed on the first batch, as I thought to try out guar gum as an alternative. Despite my research into it being a safe bonding agent for fish, I failed to research on how to mix it! It should be mixed with all the dry ingredients and added to water slowly after. I was never much of a cook, just ask my wife...

My personal blend inspired by @jayc was

300ml RO

1 x teaspoon bee pollen,

1 x teaspoon of Genchem Aminovita P

2 x teaspoon of powdered vital greens (spirulina, chorella, kale, wheatgrass, barley grass, broccoli)

1 x teaspoon of agar agar

My Blue Diamonds have every shrimp in the tank going nuts, but interestingly the BM’s are dropping on and off with passing interest..

Thanks for the inspiration mate! 

47D91BE2-339C-4675-97D4-4DCF2DA16D3B.jpeg

• Like 1

Lovely photos of your shrimp!

Isn't it so rewarding seeing shrimps go for food you put so much effort into? Like they reallllyyy go for it.

• Like 1

I tried this recipe out today after finally making it to the health food store.  I did replace one teaspoon of cholerra with a teaspoon of spirulina and added some powdered up freeze dried bloodworms.  One thing I would mention is anyone who has hayfever, beware when you're powdering up the pollen.  I was sneezing up a storm!

They went crazy for it in my red cherry/ninja shrimp tank as that one has a ton of shrimp and bristlenose in there.  It's also been well received in the taitibee tank but they didn't swarm quite as much as it's a big tank with few shrimp so lots of biofilm available.

food1.jpg

food2.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tukie said:

but they didn't swarm quite as much as it's a big tank with few shrimp so lots of biofilm available.

Wait until the second feeding, when they now realise what that lump of green jelly was from the first feeding. They will most likely have developed a taste for it at subsequent feedings.

15 hours ago, Tukie said:

freeze dried bloodworms.  One thing I would mention is anyone who has hayfever, beware when you're powdering up the pollen.  I was sneezing up a storm!

I'm not doubting pollen stirred up in the air would make anyone sneeze.

BUT!!

Be very careful with freeze dried bloodworms and pounding it into powder form. FD bloodworms are highly allergenic !!

To the point that, most have warnings on the packaging. Powdering them up will have a high chance of inhaling some in, that's bad news if you are highly allergic. If you're not, you might sneeze or just have running eyes/nose.

Symptoms could include (but not limited to) rashes and welts, difficulty breathing and various other respiratory problems, itching, sneezing, running eyes and nose.

Never rub your eyes, or nose after touching Freeze dried or frozen bloodworms without washing your hands first.

Just google "allergies to bloodworm" for many examples. Just be warned, some of the pictures of people's allergies with red and swollen eyes, are not the most pleasant.

A LOT of people are going to say "Well, that's something I have never heard of before".  - Well, now you know. JayC just told you!

I myself am allergic to those little buggers, but only if I'm not careful. Found out by accident ... rubbed my eye once after a feeding without washing my hands. My eye swelled up and went red and itchy.  Zyrtec (antihistamine) helped. 

Edited by jayc

Thanks for the warning JayC!  Never knew that about the FD bloodworms.  Whatever it was luckily it was just sneezing that I suffered and it stopped after I popped a Zyrtec.  

I fed the red cherry tank again today and the bristlenose in there swarm the food before the shrimp can get to it lol.  But in my albino bristlenose tank they ignore it, go figure.  The tangerine tigers love it but keep alternating between the candy feast and the mulberry leaf in there.

Thanks for the recipe!  Sure beats the store bought foods.  All I need now is a baby food mix to go with it.