Water Test Kits Q

neo-2FX

Hi All,

Before I venture off into the shrimp keeping world, I'd like to get an idea on my water parameters from tap.

I also have a water filter at home. The filter is --> http://www.photolysis.gr/KYK_Genesis_30000.html

Not sure if the filter will benefit the shrimp or harm them.

Need advice on which test kit to get.

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5049- overkill?

OR 

http://www.thetechden.com.au/API_Freshwater_Master_Test_Kit_p/aph41.htm

Also, do I require a "TDS" pen?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by neo-2FX

depending on the type of shrimp you want to keep, the master test kit plus a gh/kh test kit from us is about all you need, if you are going to keep CRS, CBS etc etc then a TDS pen would be a good idea, for a filter you just need an ro unit or use rainwater and add salty shrimp GH+ or GH KH+ depending on what shrimp you want to keep.

The filter is way overkill, all you need is a cheap 3-stage RO unit from somewhere like FSA(Filter Systems Australia) Ian is very helpful & has sponsored a couple of comps on this forum.

The other two test kit kits are great & never can have too many test kits! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the replies.

OK so i'll stick to the master test kit and get the GH and KH kit aswell.

Also, not sure if I made it clear in the OP but I already have the filter at home. Is it worth getting the RO system even though I have a "filter"?

I'm thinking I start with Cherries but CRS just look so cool!  :jig:

I think the only thing putting me off CRS atm is the whole temperature factor.

Edited by neo-2FX

That filter is for drinking water, you really should get an RO/DI filter for your shrimp tanks. :thumbsu:

That filter is for drinking water, you really should get an RO/DI filter for your shrimp tanks. :thumbsu:

OK, thanks Squiggle.

How much am I looking at for a basic RO unit?

Is there an alternative? Can I use tap water and condition it?

Edited by neo-2FX

Good ones start around $130-$150 & this is the only way to remove TDS from your tap water so you can start from scratch & add only the minerals you want in the water. :thumbsu:

It's always a good idea to know your tap water parameters so you know where you are starting from. :thumbsu:

I know RO is the popular choice, and I certainly don't dispute that results are probably best when using it. However I don't. Here in Melbourne - especially in the east - our mains water is very, very soft and I use a blend of this and rainwater. Either way all water to my aquaria goes through a 0.5 micron polyester filter then a 1 micron carbon filter, both in standard 10" filter housings. This is a cheap and waste-free way of obtaining good water. 

I'm sure the filter you've got already will help, but it looks pretty flash and I'm sure replacement media will be expensive. The system I've described is cheaper to run and not too expensive to set up. RO isn't really that expensive to set up either. For 1 small tank, most shops that deal in marines can supply RO water fairly cheap too. 

I know RO is the popular choice, and I certainly don't dispute that results are probably best when using it. However I don't. Here in Melbourne - especially in the east - our mains water is very, very soft and I use a blend of this and rainwater. Either way all water to my aquaria goes through a 0.5 micron polyester filter then a 1 micron carbon filter, both in standard 10" filter housings. This is a cheap and waste-free way of obtaining good water. 

I'm sure the filter you've got already will help, but it looks pretty flash and I'm sure replacement media will be expensive. The system I've described is cheaper to run and not too expensive to set up. RO isn't really that expensive to set up either. For 1 small tank, most shops that deal in marines can supply RO water fairly cheap too. 

Hi kizshrimp - thanks for that information.

Yes the filters do cost quite a bit for that thing. Last time dad replaced them, I think it cost around the $150 dollar mark.

I too live in Melbourne and am keen to test the water and see its parameters.

Where can I get more information on the filtering system you use?

Edited by neo-2FX

• 1 month later...

Hey kiz finely found u mate haha