Pure Tigers

KillieOrCory

I was wondering how many people are keeping pure tigers?

Since the Tiger shrimp has been classified as Caridina mariae I am more interested in keeping them then before. With everybodies love affairs with pintos I hope there are still some pure tigers around in the Australian hobby.

• Like 2

I'd say it's likely a similar situation to endlers here. May have something that looks exactly like and endler but is probably a hybrid somewhere back in its family tree. I doubt there'd be anything that can be verified as pure and overseas they'll start over with new wild stock.

I just got some OEBT about a month ago, but I've never heard of wild-type Tigers without the orange eye mutation getting around here. Mine are blondes and blues that are culls from breeding royal blues and blacks, which seems to be what most people are going for. I think an ordinary blonde or light blue tiger is very lovely too and will happily maintain such "low grades" at my place. I have "Fancy tigers" (Royal x CRS) too but they will not be mixed with the species. 

I've missed the news of it getting elevated to species level as C. mariae - when did this happen and how did you hear? I'm obviously not in the right loop anymore. 

Thanks Proto! I read that thread a couple of days ago but couldn't access the links and assumed it was just a rename of cantonensis, as the title implied. I didn't realise there had been so much action on that page since.