CRS colony starting to establish (finally)

newbreed

:dizzy: lost count at 168.....

Now Jamie if I were to photoshop this picture and draw circles around certain shrimp could we talk about how much you would want for said shrimp? bare in mind I am a loyal customers to newbreed aquatics! lol

• Like 1

Do you find the sochting oxydator has a big impact on the benefits to your shrimp ?

I have always considered getting one but wasnt sure of how much the upkeep would be in buying the replacement stuff for it ?

@newbreed I too am stuggling to get my CRS breeding, everything else is breeding well except these guys, including my TB's. Like us, they probably don't like the winter either.

@Disciple  you certainly are a valued customer mate. May be able to help. But many of the higher grades are being held for new projects in Rack 2.0.

@OzShrimp I can't give you any scientific evidence on the oxydators mate but I do see a noticeable change if I let them run out for an extended period of time. And really mate, if you buy a bottle of h2o2 and distilled water and mix your own it really isn't that costly to run them.

@Larrymull. My shrimp are winterphobes!! That will change soon. 

‌Thanks @newbreed but it is ok to tell me to bugger off! lol Its going to be a shame to see the colony split up but cant wait to see how improves when you do it!

@OzShrimp Yeah if you make you own H2o2 its a fraction of the costs and you can make batches that last months lol.

@OzShrimp. Mate the effects are more behavioural, more energetic shrimp. Like I said not scientific.

also H2o2 easy to mix. Can send you the ratios if you like and a link for supplier of food grade H2o2.

• Like 1

your @nickname thing isnt working :), when you type it like @newbreed the user should drop down if you click on it then it will appear blue and notify the person :)

That would be appreciated as i havent purchased one for that reason amongst a couple of others.

your @nickname thing isnt working :), when you type it like @newbreed the user should drop down if you click on it then it will appear blue and notify the person :)

That would be appreciated as i havent purchased one for that reason amongst a couple of others.

Yeah the @OzShrimp is hit or miss for me!! But think practice and patience, we will get it right. Cheers.

@newbreed do you ever sell your really high quality shrimp individually? 

I could be keen next year (seems so far away) when i am set up in civilisation i plan on selling majority of my shrimp and look at buying select shrimp to improve my colony. 

@OzShrimp I haven't sold many of the higher grade CRS. But get in contact whenever you're ready and we can discuss what's available!!

happy to help where I can. 

• 8 months later...

This is a really inspirational journal to go through! Despite hardship you kept with it, and clearly your doing great things now!

I am just coming back to the hobby myself so this will be fuel for my future shrimping!

The little glass feeding dishes are an excellent idea! I did the same thing for one of my old tanks, with a very DIY method. I used a string and alcohol to cut the bottoms out of clear beer bottles. Then sand paper on the edges to make it finger/shrimp safe haha. Really helps keep the old food from fouling up the whole tank! They are easy to remove and clean too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 August 2015 at 1:22 PM, newbreed said:

@Disciple  you certainly are a valued customer mate. May be able to help. But many of the higher grades are being held for new projects in Rack 2.0.

@OzShrimp I can't give you any scientific evidence on the oxydators mate but I do see a noticeable change if I let them run out for an extended period of time. And really mate, if you buy a bottle of h2o2 and distilled water and mix your own it really isn't that costly to run them.

@Larrymull. My shrimp are winterphobes!! That will change soon. 

@newbreed can you share this info for the oxydators? I've got a few of them sitting empty since i ran out of the original catalyst. think i still have the fluid somewhere but recipe would be helpful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxpuppet said:

@newbreed can you share this info for the oxydators? I've got a few of them sitting empty since i ran out of the original catalyst. think i still have the fluid somewhere but recipe would be helpful!

@Foxpuppet

Supplier's instructions for mixing your own Sochting Oxydator Solution:

• 1 part 35% Hydrogen Peroxide to 6 parts distilled water yields the recommended 6% solution.
  • For example: 60ml of 35% food grade Hydrogen peroxide plus 360ml of distilled water = 420ml of 6% Hydrogen Peroxide.
  • A 1-to-2 ratio of 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield a 18% Hydrogen peroxide solution.
  • A 1-to-3 ratio of 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide to distilled water would yield a 12% Hydrogen peroxide solution.
  • Following above steps you can adjust the % food grade Hydrogen Peroxide as desired to accommodate the rate at which oxygen is dispensed from the Söchting Oxidator into the aquarium

I have about a dozen katalysts on forward order. Will possibly bee in stock within next two weeks. ?

The above mixing instructions were originally from Boss Aquaria website.  I have followed Jays recommendation and usually source my 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide from barringtonfarms.com.au

Distilled water I just purchased from a Woolworths store.

On 13 May 2016 at 10:07 AM, LaxLogic said:

This is a really inspirational journal to go through! Despite hardship you kept with it, and clearly your doing great things now!

I am just coming back to the hobby myself so this will be fuel for my future shrimping!

The little glass feeding dishes are an excellent idea! I did the same thing for one of my old tanks, with a very DIY method. I used a string and alcohol to cut the bottoms out of clear beer bottles. Then sand paper on the edges to make it finger/shrimp safe haha. Really helps keep the old food from fouling up the whole tank! They are easy to remove and clean too!

Sadly this colony collapsed due to over feeding due to numbers and becoming complacent with maintenance and water change regime. 

If you can keep up with regular wc and keep testing conditions regularly, I am sure you will do great @LaxLogic

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 1

Wow been a long time since i read this topic lol, gone from me discussing buying some select CRS to me having none what so ever :)

Sorry to hear your colony collapsed mate are you trying to re establish it or moved on to something else?

I still need to buy a Oxydator lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzShrimp said:

Wow been a long time since i read this topic lol, gone from me discussing buying some select CRS to me having none what so ever :)

Sorry to hear your colony collapsed mate are you trying to re establish it or moved on to something else?

I still need to buy a Oxydator lol

I reset the three foot tank and set it aside for my TB line. (Another sad story, lol has not been my year) have also added some yellow cherries to this tank. 

I kept about ten of my original CRS line and have also had some of @ineke's added to the colony. So hopefully will have a revival over coming months, plus the bonus of nice red legs from many of Inekes line.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

When i was in Walgett i had a hard first year i lost over 3 colonies of shrimp including snow whites before things took a turn for the best for me. Mind you RO water helped as opposed to the crap town water.

Good to see thigns are coming good again though

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Qhao said:

May i know bout your tank temp? Thanks

22-24 degC is the best temps for shrimps. Not too hot, not too cold. The Goldilocks region.

Edited by jayc

2 hours ago, Qhao said:

Can it survive in 23-25 degC

That should be ok. But try keeping it below 25.