API Ph+ Ph-?

Peppy_11

Hi Peppy,

I'm pretty sure most PH buffers contain phosphates in some form or another. So prolonged use will soon build up to unacceptable levels. There are a couple that don't conatin phosphates, but I can't remember which ones :-( . Maybe JBL and Sera PH-, but don't quote me. There are 'natural' ways to reduce your PH, albeit slowly and hard to gauge accurately (IAL's/Peat Moss). Or depending on your $enthusiasm$, there's the R/O option.

What shrimp are you keeping that you need to raise your PH?

What is the PH that you are working with and what is your target?

What quantity of water are you topping up with?

JJ.

Another way to bring the pH down/Up (Depending on size of water change) is to have one of those 20L water containers you get with spring water in them from the supermarkets.

One of these kind of things.

20L_collapsible_water_cans.jpg

Then just put something like Shrimp sand or another pH adjusting substrate in it and let it sit for a few days before using for top ups. Each time you use some just replace it straight away in the container ready for next time. Letting the water sit you're using for changes for a few days is a great benefit for the shrimps also.

My ph for my crs/cbs tank is about 6.4, and the ph of the water coming out of my ro unit is 6. I want to raise it a bit before i top up, or should i just put it onto a drip system and slowly top it up?

My ph for my crs/cbs tank is about 6.4' date=' and the ph of the water coming out of my ro unit is 6. I want to raise it a bit before i top up, or should i just put it onto a drip system and slowly top it up?[/quote']

I think 6 pH is absolutely fine mate. 0.4 diff is not an issue at all, in fact I'm trying to keep below 6 at all times.