Edible Flowers for shrimp

jayc

Just a word of caution for anyone trying.

Please stick to flowers we know are edible. If in doubt check this list.
http://www.westcoastseeds.com/topicdetail/topic/list-of-edible-flowers/

I'd like to encourage people to report back on their findings.

Many flowers have antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal qualities.
If you have suspected recent bacterial issues with your shrimps lately, try feeding flowers and report back on your findings.
These are some, and by no means the only, flowers that exhibit antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal qualities:-
Basil flowers, Bee Balm (Bergamot) flowers, Borage flowers, Echinacea flowers, Pot Marigold flowers, Chamomile flowers, Chrysanthemums flowers, Garlic flowers, Nasturtiums flowers, Onion flowers, Oregano flowers, Pansy flowers and Violet flowers.

Please note - I am talking about the flowers here. So when you see Basil for example, that's the Basil flowers, not the leaves. Even-though the Basil leaves are edible, I cannot vouch for the leaves from some of these other flowers.

while we are at it, it's probably best to name some flowers to AVOID, as these are considered poisonous.
Primulas, Primroses, Polyanthus, Iris, Daffodils, Nghtshade, box wood, foxgloves, amaryllis, clematis, bryony, buttercups, begonia, columbine, lily of the valley, sweet pea, Brachycome, Nolana, Rudbeckia, periwinkle, oleander, dogbane, aconite.

Did you have any luck with the basil flowers?? Also can you use the leaves and what about other herbs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 04/01/2017 at 5:14 PM, alexmannea said:

Did you have any luck with the basil flowers?? Also can you use the leaves and what about other herbs??

I haven't tried basil flowers, but only because I don't grow basil. There should be no problem feeding basil flowers or the leaves to shrimp. Whether they will like it or not will be the question. Give it a try. 

You should also be able to feed other herbs as long as you know they are free of pesticides. Store bought herbs might contain pesticides. So be cautious. But if you grow your own, then give them a go to see if the shrimp like them. 

Edited by jayc

We grow most of our own herbs so I will try and use them. I have a hibiscus plant to buy in pretty sure it has been sprayed by our neighbour so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone feed dandelion or amaranth leaves?

• 7 months later...
On 04/01/2017 at 8:39 PM, viridisornatus said:

Does anyone feed dandelion

Have not tried the leaves. Clean it, blanch it and give it a try.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone feed dandelion or amaranth leaves?
Amaranth leaves are great treat them like mulberry leaves

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• jayc pinned this topic