Not so sure these are the same type

Baccus

As the title suggests I am not so sure that these yabbies are all the same species (or subspecies since they seem to all be cherax) the first pictures are of the original one I got at Barney Springs as a tiny little tacker. In the flesh it has pronounced blue which sort of shows up in the pictures.

P1030169_zps3572663e.jpg

P1030170_zpsba8f2203.jpg

P1030176_zpsab76928d.jpg

P1030177_zps1ea0072f.jpg

The next ones are of the second ones Bob sent me and you can see the "blue" one off to the left of the shot while the other orange is to the right of the big guy in the middle

P1030195_zps5644d082.jpg

P1030196_zpsee0d52b0.jpg

P1030198_zpsdff63886.jpg

Hi Bacc

Like shrimp colour means absolutely nothing as far as ID goes, it is all about body features, nose, claws, legs, tail and things like that.

I was only holding Barneys at the time I sent yours, I do now have some other types all the small guys.

The Blue, most crayfish will turn bluish after a time in captivity, some quick and some take a long time, I suspect it is diet related they should be getting a high Veg diet.

Bob

I was thinking maybe I somehow caught a Red claw at Barney Springs, but then I would expect it to be a lot bigger by now too, unless it was female.

They are getting a high veg diet, they seem to have taken a particular liking to eating the moss I also bought back from Barney Springs. I have tried them on all sorts of foods, from dedicated crayfish food (which looked liked Lucerne pellets), to shrimp and crab pellets, even fresh veg like carrot and fresh leaves from my mulberry trees and Ice cream bean. But almost everything they seem to ignore. At least they are not eating each other.

At least I should have plenty of java moss to keep them fed on if they wont really take to any of the other foods I can give them. And I will keep trying them on any other vegetables I can think of.

They seem to be getting on really well together, although they almost gave me a heart attack the other day, when I saw one of the nippers laying on the floor of the tank. Turned out one had shed and they where all still in their various hidey-holes.

I hadn't planned on keeping yabbies ( past experience with red claw had taught be a few lessons), but these guys are little sweeties and I am really fond of them.

Am I right in thinking that the big guy is actually a male? The Blue I am thinking might also be a male but the smallest of the trio I am not sure. I would have thought if they where all males there would have been immediate murder taking place.

What ever species you have Baccus they look fantastic. I've seen the blue yabbies in fresh water creek many many years ago very similar to your pics. I hope there are still some left in there. Not that I want to go searching.....too much long blade grass, snakes and spiders and what ever else wants to crawl on you eeeek!

It is a fairly safe bet they are C. depressus and the 3 others that similar and small are AOK together and yes sweet.

One type at this stage is jet black with the orange claw tips and one has blood red tips

Redeye the ones around Cairns are C. cairnsensis usually unless you get right up in the hills.

The good thing about around FNQ is there is still lots of one to be discovered.

Bob