How many Borneos can you see?

Baccus

While my threadfins where feeding the bulk of my Borneo Suckers also came out to their favourite feeding station, a large flat rock angled under the HOB return flow.

I love my little Borneo's and have had them a couple of years now. At last count I was up around the 15 mark and 3 possibly 4 species. Its really interesting when they flash their eyes, if your watching when they do it, its like a little light being flashed. No one believed me for ages about the effect until they too got to witness the event.

P1020617_zpsd71595e7.jpg

(When I counted them there was actually 9 on the rock, but I had to zoom in past the threadfins to get the Borneo's)

I love borneos! I keep meaning to get some but haven't yet :) I used to watch them in a mates planted tank, he would get quite antsy as they liked to shuffle around in the substrate.

I do love my Borneos, I had been put of on even getting them because people kept telling me they needed cool/ cold water and strong flow. But once I got a couple and realised they could do just fine in my 4ft cory tank, the collection grew. Even amongst themselves I find they are peaceful and any argie bargie is quickly over and the loser just goes a short distance away without fear of continued pursuit by the winner.

And no matter what the text books say these guys do like plants, but not to eat. Mine spend a lot of time behind a moss wall I made and happily clean the leaves on large leafed plants like Amazon Swords.

The only down side of these guys is they are all but impossible to catch, they actually put khuli loaches to shame in the speed department. The guy at my local pet shop has a recurring nightmare that I will ask him to catch another Borneo out of the shops tanks. Because I don't just want any old one I usually try to get either a new pattern or one of my existing patterns (types) that I might only have one of.

I agree! They are hard to catch...especially with the small shrimp nets (forget trying). When I got mine the LFS employee ended up killing 2 of their red cherries trying to catch em for me. LOL!

They look so cute. Gotta get some for my shrimp tanks. Will they be fine in acidic water (pH 5.8-6, Temp 23-24)?

They are very cute...they will be fine in the water parameter you have stated there JPN as I have them in those WP myself.

They are very cute...they will be fine in the water parameter you have stated there JPN as I have them in those WP myself.

Ya ah i meant yeah they look alrite for a sucker fish (manly voice) LOL. Cheers bro. Will go get some sometime this week.

You can keep them at a temp of 24? I really wanted some but was worried they would suffer as my tank sits around 23-24 even though it is well oxygenated.

Do they need certain sized groups? How many would you suggest for a 125 L tank with medium to high water flow?

I'm excited if I can have these!

I feel like my LFS must dread the sight of me as all the fish I like tend to be hell to catch.

I was careful and got mine in winter- spring when my tank can be as low as 18 degrees (although up near the heater the temp is set at 20-22), that way the Borneo's where able to acclimatise as the tank got gradually warmer towards summer. In summer my tank can get up in the 30's (and that's with the heater turned off), but I do have a 800L/hr HOB on the tank and I make sure the water is all the way up to the lip and the surface of the tank is well rippled. I also have in the tank a bubble wall near the filter and another airstone bubbling away at the other end of the tank.

The conditions may not be ideal (as I have had many overseas people tell me) but I have had no deaths, or illness with the Borneo's.

Food wise my Borneo's go for tropical flakes, mirco pellets, catfish wafers and shrimp pellets. I have never seen them on the leaves I also add to the tank, but they are usually on the glass or their collection of rocks. And if a food I have given my corys is really tempting I have seen the Borneo's venture down to the sand and join in the friendly food scrum with the much bigger peppered corys and emeralds.

i love those Borneo's! The thing I like about them is that they stay small and are quite active and do a good job cleaning up algae on the glass!