guppies jumping out of tank...

pitz

been puzzled with missing two of my guppies... checked filter, under rocks, in plants and they're nowhere to be found... checked behind the shelf where my tank sits, and there's my poor guppies...

Oh dear, never a good find :-) know the possible causes for their suicide mission ? WP ALL OK ?

Yes, I've had the same happening with my endlers twice. :(

I think it has something to do with the current of the filter outlet. I have seen the male endlers "dancing" in the current, going a bit crazy and jumping out of a tiny gap in the corner of the tank.

Try redirecting or weakening waterflow from the filter and make sure to close all gaps around the lid with tape. :encouragement:

I have noticed when filling my tanks after a drop and top the guppies and endlers love playing in the strong current. I wonder if yours jumping could be because of a strong tank current tricking the endlers into thinking there has been an influx of rain water to their "water way" and thus are trying to jump up stream to populate new areas.

• HOF Member

I used to keep some small tropical eels- can't remember their proper name- and often found them on the floor in the morning all dry but I would put them back in the tank and they would revive quite quickly. I had lids on the tank but the little corner that is cut out of the glass for tubes etc was slightly bigger than normal and the managed to squeeze out through the hole even though it had large amount of air tubes coming out of it. I didn't check water parameters in those days but it was a 4 foot tank and I always did weekly water changes. The eels continued to do this for quite a few years and seemed to thrive regardless of their dehydrating regularly, no I never thought to put tape over the holes as I do now

i put back the lid now. i'v had them for months already and the water current is the same as before. but i'v been filling the tank almost full, so probably made it easier for them to jump out. i'm initially puzzled with one of them ending up in the overflow and i cant figured out how it got there. must have jumped and luckily fell there twice...but third unlucky for him...