Losing RCS

fishmosy

I have noticed some dead shrimp. Usually 2or 3 at a time, spaced over several days, mixture of juvies and adults. They seem to have died during molting, as the carapace is split away from the body on the dead individuals.

I have montillerite in the tank, but don't think it is providing enough minerals. I've added some crushed coral sand (calcium carbonate) and am considering getting some mineral balls, but don't really want to spend lots of moolah on RCS.

Do you guys use montillerite or anything similar?

FM,

I use that montmorillonite stuff. But apart from giving the male shrimps somewhere to wee, I don't know if it does anything. I have it in some and not in others. I can't tell the difference. Yet I'm having unidentified problems of my own with a tank that has it in abundance. I can see myself heading down the R/O and Saltyshrimp path shortly.

What's that Loachy, no post's here yet.... Probably needed his beauty sleep..

I'm using borewater, 10% water change a week. I'm certain its not a problem with my water source, more a question of adding minerals on the cheap. don't really want to start dosing mineral powders or buying/using RO for RCS (that aren't even decent grade). Might just be better off reducing my shrimp density as I haven't had problems up till now.

Try adding some Gypsum in powder form. It's a good source of calcium which is really the main thing they need for moulting.

Did wonders for my shrimps. However I love playing with stuff like that, It'd be far easier to just add premixed additives.

Don't have TDS pen, planning on getting one.

No measurable ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate <10ppm.

pH is a little lower than I'd like at 7.0, typically 7.2 or above but I've been feeding IAL and added a new planted driftwood.

GH is 6. Will have to test KH as I forgot to do it. Will be affected now though by the crushed coral I put in the tank.

I'm going to see how they go this week and then reduce the density of the shrimp in the tank. There are hundreds of adults (within a four foot tank) and many more juvies and hatchlings. Maybe add some gypsum.

Guess montmorillonite is not all its cracked up to be.

Don't have TDS pen' date=' planning on getting one.

No measurable ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate <10ppm.

pH is a little lower than I'd like at 7.0, typically 7.2 or above but I've been feeding IAL and added a new planted driftwood.

GH is 6. Will have to test KH as I forgot to do it. Will be affected now though by the crushed coral I put in the tank.

I'm going to see how they go this week and then reduce the density of the shrimp in the tank. There are hundreds of adults (within a four foot tank) and many more juvies and hatchlings. Maybe add some gypsum.

Guess montmorillonite is not all its cracked up to be.[/quote']

You won't have to add Gypsum if you've already added crushed coral, That will increase the Calcium like the Gypsum would. The only reasons I use Gypsum is because it doesn't affect the GH like crushed corals etc do. It will only raise the KH as it's got calcium and the pH which is buffered in my tank.

I think you should get a KH test kit and TDS pen before playing around with it all too much to make sure you're not increasing levels too high.

You won't have to add Gypsum if you've already added crushed coral' date=' That will increase the Calcium like the Gypsum would. The only reasons I use Gypsum is because it doesn't affect the GH like crushed corals etc do. It will only raise the KH as it's got calcium and the pH which is buffered in my tank.

I think you should get a KH test kit and TDS pen before playing around with it all too much to make sure you're not increasing levels too high.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice, I do have a KH test, just forgot to do it. You are right about not doing too much before testing, I try to follow that rule but I tend to rely on gut instinct sometimes.

Mate in my oppinion you are just poisioning your shrimp with all your additives and messing around! Leave things alone to settle down by themselves, you will loose a few but over time it will get better. Go into cherries for a while untill your system is good then you can run all the species together without a problem Be patient it works out in the end believe me.

As the saying Goes " STOP TRYING TO REPLICATE NATURE LET NATURE REPLICATE ITSELF"!!!

Mate in my oppinion you are just poisioning your shrimp with all your additives and messing around! Leave things alone to settle down by themselves' date=' you will loose a few but over time it will get better. Go into cherries for a while untill your system is good then you can run all the species together without a problem Be patient it works out in the end believe me.[/quote']

+1

I agree, I find with cherries the motto "less is more" is true!

I do minimal water changes, feed once a week, no additives of any kind, check PH maybe once every few months & no other checks and they breed like mad, and easily out breed the natural "old age" deaths that occur.

I think it all comes down to a "stable" environment IMO, less stuff added, less fluctuation in the water, less issues.

Mine are in 22 degree water & 6PH and they do fine & are very red.

(I'm not saying the shrimp additives don't work, they could drastically increase your breeding/colour, I've just never used them and they are fine)

Thanks guys, i really would prefer not to add stuff to the tank. Just concerned about the manner in which the shrimp have died. At this stage i'll take the wait and see approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fishmossy, How are your RCS's doing now. I have just been reading back on your post and I think that it would be a good idea to reduce your tank population, as with fish the tank soon reaches a capacity of inhabitants thet can live comfortably and then the weeker ones start to die off. until that happy medium is reached. Also what are you doing now that is ny different to pre post? and has it made any difference?

Regards

Thanks for the reminder, been meaning to update this thread.

Since adding the crushed coral I haven't seen any more dead RCS. I did reduce the population a little bit but the tank is full of little shrimplets that will soon grow up to replace them. I've also eased off on the amount of IAL i was feeding as this is known to reduce pH and soften the water.

So all good for now, will update again if anything changes. Once again a thank you for everyones suggestions.