• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr_c265

• wayne6442

• Squiggle

• ninja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayne for your crossing, separate young immature females and raise them in isolation, that way you will know who the father of the fry is.

What I found in crossing guppyfish was that the body colours and patterns from the male usually carry across to the next generation, and the fin colours usually carry across. So pick females with tail colours you want to match up.

What I found in crossing guppyfish was that the body colours and patterns from the male usually carry across to the next generation' date=' and the fin colours usually carry across. So pick females with tail colours you want to match up.[/quote']

As you can see in the pictures these wild type girls don't have any fin colour like the fancy guppyfish, but they do have that bluish sheen on their bodies. Their tail shapes are all the same . I have one male with a bit of white colour on his dorsal fin ATM and he other males are clear. It will be an interesting test to see who has the strongest traits.

Wayne

Ok, i've had a good long look at my Guppys- from Bob, i'm nearly 100% that they are not Endlers Livebearer. The colouration is different and the colouring doesn't extend to the top and bottom fin ray of the tail.

The colouration isn't full body, it is splotchy and there is a beautiful black circle towards the tail. I'm thinking that they are Poecilia Reticulata, but the wild type and not the fancy guppy- as opposed to Poecilia Wingei.

I had a quick google and the pictures definitely agree.

So i'd definitely be keeping them separate to Endlers now.

They are beautiful too. Very very nice fish. Nicer than the fancies in my opinion.

Haven't had a look at the fishy private bits yet, don't want to pull them out til they are right settled in and breeding.

I agree that these little fish are Guppys- I have been comparing them to all know info since I got mine. I think that this particular strain should be kept as pure as we can. I know I said that I was going to do a couple of crosses with endlers, but looking at the beauty of these fish I have decided to forgo what I had planned and keep them pure, Like you Chris I think they are more beautiful than the fancies, and not as common! Now all I have to do is to get a rough location of their collection area from Bob, so as we can give them a name like"karanda wild guppys-"

Wayne

So not Endlers, all good, the first few I got had lots of black lines on them, that led me to think they were Endlers.

Win some loose some, they are now Mangrove Jack food.

Bob

So not Endlers' date=' all good, the first few I got had lots of black lines on them, that led me to think they were Endlers.

Bob[/quote']

Don't jack them just yet! They're wild type *******, which don't exist in Australia as far as i know. I'll check somewhere else later, but i'm pretty sure they are nearly impossible to find here.

No don't do that Bob, they are to nice a fish to feed to Jacks, I am willing to work on them to try and get them established as something new in the trade. I would like to get some of the males with the black lines on them please if you can get them.

There is a site I came across called sex and the single ----- that shows some of the different colour range in wild fish overseas

So don't write them off yet send them to me and others.

Wayne

Heres another type of wild guppy, this one is from bolivia:

Guppi%20Columbian%20male%20.jpg

Here is an Endler(again, different to mine, i suspect this is a hybrid)

WEB2011-6148.jpg

males from Bob

IMG_0713_zps5f38359a.jpg

female

IMG_0711_zpsbc9c7719.jpg

endler

IMG_0715_zps5fcfe366.jpg(sorry blackwater tank)

and sorry i don't own a macro lens, so they're pretty bad shots

There were 2 distinct male patterns (Wayne and the others might have a few more too)

here is the second:

IMG_0725_zps7e9b5a07.jpg

Also, i do not know if these are fully grown, but the females are a lot smaller than my Endler Females, males are of a similar size to my endlers.

Very cool pics Chris, I think the wild guppy's are awesome looking fish, don't jack them up Bob! :victorious:

So not Endlers' date=' all good, the first few I got had lots of black lines on them, that led me to think they were Endlers.

Bob[/quote']

But Bob. REAL wild ******* are just as exiting as endlers. Please don't feed them to the Mangrove Jacks.

Pity I don't have any space at the moment but when I come back from my holidays i get MORE TANKS! :triumphant:

To anyone worried about their shrimp with these, i have them in with my two Pumpkins (which is now a pumpkin trio, with a nearly fully grown Pumpkin as the 3rd, no idea how it happened) but everyone's alive and happy.

They're too small to do adults, i'm sure they will manage juvies though.

Please Bob, don't jack these little fish yet. I and I am sure others are very happy to have them in our collections, if you have any males with the black lines that you mentioned could you please send them my way. I am willing to put a little work into and try to keep them pure. These fish have been breeding around the place you collected them from for around 70 yrs now and if the area is fairly remote with little chance of pollution from fancy guppyfish then they could be 100% pure fish( to me the purity would come from the amount of time that they have been breeding in the area .Plus it is almost impossible to find out just where the original stocks came from, my guess from the original wild stocks in South America)I think going back to basics with new blood is the way to go. You never know if we get enough stock going they could become very popular in the aquarium trade.

Wayne

I also have them in one of my shrimp tanks , I have noticed that a couple have had a go at some little shrimplets but the shrimp look to be too fast for them and they gave up. I still see babies in the tank today.

Do you have these Chi?

I don't have these have given up on fish and concentrating on shrimp for now. Why are you looking for some?

I still have a couple of people to send some to (Squig) so OK no Jack food, but the Jacks are looking at them licking there lips LOL

They are still a wild strain that has had no out side influence for 60+ years, they are also not rare where they are, the first pool filled by the spring is 10mts round and there is hundreds in there.

One of my Scientists mates wants to Nuke the pool, the saving grace there is the Shrimp that is there, because it is different.

Wayne we tried to go there when you were up, but could not find the road, Barney springs!!

Bob

PS dam I STINK, still have not had a shower after work and all I can smell is fish and Ninja you are partly to blame for that, LOL