Clicky

Triggs

Up Aqua - Shrimp Sand

Triggs

Product: Up Aqua - Shrimp Sand

Price: Usually around $15 - $20 per 2L bag

Cons: Didn't find any at all really, The grains are quite light weight so can be hard to plant in. However some simple plant clips solved this problem.

Pros: pH buffer, No Ammonia spikes when added at all, Clean looking, Light enough for shrimps to pick up and eat bio film off.

Rating: 8/10

I've been using Up Aqua Shrimp Sand in my 20L nano now for a few months (6-9 I loose count) and have found it to do everything it claims and to be a fantastic looking soil that buffers perfectly and consistently.

my pH has been a consistent 6.4 since I put it in. There were no traces of Ammonia or Nitrites or anything since I added it, even on the first day. Unlike other brands it doesn't buffer for GH or KH however, If you wanna play with these parameters yourself and change it this can be a good thing.

From my experience I'd happily recommend this product to people looking for a nice clean looking Shrimp Sand that buffers the pH.

Loach

+1.

Though mine buffers to PH6.5, GH6 & KH1. So it does affect hardness.

Triggs
+1.

Though mine buffers to PH6.5' date=' GH6 & KH1. So it does affect hardness.[/quote']

What were your GH and KH parameters from the tap?

Cheers

Loach

I cant remember for sure but they were alot higher.

Triggs
I cant remember for sure but they were alot higher.

Damn, that's interesting. I'll have to get a drop kit pack, Used to use those dodgy strip testers and found them to be the same as the tap water. But I don't think the test strips are as accurate as what the drop testers are.

Cheers mate.

jts

+1

i'm using it with UGF and works very well

it buffers ph from 7.8(tap) to 6.4 but no effect on GH/KH

Gbang

very nice! might be useful for another new setup

Joele

Buffers one of my tanks around 6.4 or so also, KH in my tank like my tap water is virtually non existent (0 to 1)

BlueBolts

My Up Aqua Shrimp Sand has stopped buffeting....tank hitting pH 7.4 now...no sign of any detioration, or sand turning powdery etc...... Only approx 10 months, did add bicarbonate to boldster the PH to 7, 1-2 months ago (experimenting with WP), but only did this for 3-4 weeks....perhaps this has zapped it's buffering capacity ? Considering options.....fulvic grains ? Adding IAL to assist with the buffering.

sajica

Just wanted to add my 2c worth on UP Shrimp Sand. I have a pH of around 7.6 out the tap. I found that the Shrimp Sand had no effect on my pH (x2 2L Bags (4L total) in 40L. I threw 2 IAL into the tank, and had a slight effect. Threw in a whole pack of fulvic grains and now my pH is around 6.6ish.

Triggs
Just wanted to add my 2c worth on UP Shrimp Sand. I have a pH of around 7.6 out the tap. I found that the Shrimp Sand had no effect on my pH (x2 2L Bags (4L total) in 40L. I threw 2 IAL into the tank' date=' and had a slight effect. Threw in a whole pack of fulvic grains and now my pH is around 6.6ish.[/quote']

That's really strange, I've had mine running now in 20L with 2L of sand for over 12 months and my pH still buffers to 6.4 from around 7.2

sajica

I've had a workmate say the same thing that he hasn't found the shrimpsand to be particularly good at buffering the pH down. When I tested my tap water the other day it was pretty much pH 7.6 kH 2-3 gh13. So the Shrimp Sand SHOULD have had an effect buffering it down with such a low kH but failed to do so. The next question is, What exactly is Fulvic Grains made of? It just looks like fine activated carbon.

doctr-dan

I've got super shrimp sand it seems as I have only a1-1.5cm layer of it in both my 30cm cube and my 2 ft and it buffers to 6

jacet

I use Mr aqua soil and find it amazing..... it is awesome at holding mid to low 6 and dropping gh heaps...... i can not speak highly enough about this product and it last for 2 years + if you use it for shrimp....

edishrimp
On 8/18/2012 at 11:48 AM, Triggs said:

Product: Up Aqua - Shrimp Sand

Price: Usually around $15 - $20 per 2L bag

Cons: Didn't find any at all really, The grains are quite light weight so can be hard to plant in. However some simple plant clips solved this problem.

Pros: pH buffer, No Ammonia spikes when added at all, Clean looking, Light enough for shrimps to pick up and eat bio film off.

Rating: 8/10

I've been using Up Aqua Shrimp Sand in my 20L nano now for a few months (6-9 I loose count) and have found it to do everything it claims and to be a fantastic looking soil that buffers perfectly and consistently.

my pH has been a consistent 6.4 since I put it in. There were no traces of Ammonia or Nitrites or anything since I added it, even on the first day. Unlike other brands it doesn't buffer for GH or KH however, If you wanna play with these parameters yourself and change it this can be a good thing.

From my experience I'd happily recommend this product to people looking for a nice clean looking Shrimp Sand that buffers the pH.

Hi Triggs!

Would you advise using remineralized RO water or Tap water? Currently using UpAqua Shrimp Sand as well in my breeding set-up and I'm worried that my tap water (which is pretty hard) is gonna eat into my substrate pretty quickly 😕 

jayc
22 hours ago, edishrimp said:

Would you advise using remineralized RO water or Tap water?

Is that a trick question? :happy:

Remineralised RO of course.

• Like 1

edishrimp
Is that a trick question? :happy:

Remineralised RO of course.

HAHAHA shucks was kinda hoping I wouldn’t have to sink more money into this hobby but those eager looking CRS always get me good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Yeah. That's what got me into the hobby, those pretty CRS.

You can stick with Cherrys using tap water if you don't want to go to RO water equipment. There are so many Neo caridina varieties that can keep you occupied.

Or you start collecting rain water, unless you live in an apartment. It rains everyday in Sing, so there is no shortage of that.

Rain water and my DIY remineraliser (https://skfaquatics.com/forum/topic/7159-diy-remineralisation-for-ro-or-rain-water/).

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

edishrimp

Hmm that’s true. I might have to jerry rig some sorta contraption to collect rain water out of my window cos hanging a bucket out the side isn’t exactly an option since I live in a flat

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk