Hydra & Planaria shrimp safe removal.

Dean

• HOF Member

It didn't kill my snails even the baby Ramshorns

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - came home today, went down to feed my shrimp and I've got a worm infestation. Once again SKF comes to the rescue. Just a few searches and I find this thread. Looks like I've got planaria and now am orderin gthis product form Aquarium Online Store. Thanks everyone one this thread, especially OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a really quick one guys and ladies after getting hold of some "internal parasite clear" I have done a test on the spoon that comes with it on scales etc and since everyone asks this question a lot.... 1 lvl spoon = 2.5 grams of product so treats 50 liters thought this may be handy for people as it comes up a lot around the traps the question "how many grams does the spoon hold that comes with the tub ?"

• HOF Member

I think i did 20% after the first treatment just before the next treatment and did 3 treatments that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow i just did 1 dose and the hydra was already starting to shrivle by the bext day what a great find IPC works wonders thank you dean for have the kahunas to try this haha

• 4 weeks later...

Big thumbs up from me for this product. Noticed some hydra clinging to a couple of leaves and ordered this product and treated my tank and thankfully all signs of the hydra are gone and my shrimp all doing fine. i did do a water change as recommended.

• 2 months later...

Just to help people out, 1 level spoon that comes in the pack is 1.25grams so each spoon is used per 25 litres of water ( so 4 level spoons per 100L )

• 9 months later...

glad i had this in the cabinet, found hydra all over my glass just now >:(

Did 5 level teaspoons approx so fingers crossed i am getting them early their still small and isolated in the one spot

Edited by OzShrimp

• 3 months later...

Glad I saved this post. Purchased Internal Parasite Clear from AOL Store. I treated my 55 litre nano shrimp tank for hydra. I originally had about 10 x 1mm hydra on the glass that I could see (yes, I am a tank nerd who looks long & hard), but by the time I got around to ordering the IPC & it arrived, they were slightly larger & there were too many to count. 5 hours after the 1st dose, I did not find any hydra on the glass. Inhabitants of the tank are wild collected shrimp (still berried), neon blue rams (temporary home as they were an impulse buy), Hillstream loaches and a halfbeak. I was actually more concerned about the rams as info. points to them being partial to dying easily.

Anyone concerned about the living arrangements (heavily planted & wooded tank}... lots of shrimplets develop with the Hillstream loaches & halfbeak. Neon blue rams will be removed eventually.

At the same time, I dosed my 120 litre wild caught rainbow / gudgeon tank for anchor worm. The anchor worm looked to have turned white and was shrivelled & barely hanging on after approx. 8hrs. The anchor worm came with the rainbows. I was removing them as I found them, but hopefully this will totally eradicate them from the tank. This is also my plant grow out tank, but it meant I couldn't use any plants for my other tanks.

Inhabitants of both tanks are still eating and active.

I have yet to re-dose.

One great product, so many uses.

Thanks for the original post, you saved two tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

wow , just found this thread and i be ordering the stuff today . I spent 4 hours last night cleaning the gravel out on one of my tanks

• 2 weeks later...

So i used the stuff , hydra is gone but the little worms are still around , i graveled vac the whole tank and just under the gravel the little buggers were still alive.

Anyway of getting rid of them ?

• HOF Member

If they aren't planaria just the very thin white ones then it doesn't work. If it is planaria I found the best thing was to mix the powder with water , use a syringe with a piece of airline on it and squirt the liquid into the gravel especially where you feed the most. That has worked for me several times.

• Like 2

Does anyone still have a bottle of Internal Parasite Clear who can check the active ingredients for me please?

• HOF Member

There isn't a list of ingredients JayC unless it's in Chinese - definitely not in English

• 4 years later...

This is an old thread but I have seen various people looking at it a few times so thought I would add something briefly here.

I had Hydra when I set up a new tank and bought some SL Aqua Z1. This cleared the hydra and did not negatively affect plants or any occupants. It was so easy, 1 dose then that was all that was needed. I believe it is a natural product rather than a chemical treatment.

http://www.sl-aqua.com/en/conditioner/products_z1.html

There are a few UK sellers but I don't know how easy it may be to get elsewhere? I think it is an Asian product? It probably is fairly new so wasn't around when this thread was started? 

Simon 

8 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

It probably is fairly new so wasn't around when this thread was started? 

Definitely was not around. 

We had to break new ground with hiding a treatment back in those days.

Probably more a precaution, but I need to add this advice ... make sure you do a water change after the treatment period. If you are regular with water changes, than that is not a problem. Depending on how many planaria or hydra you have in the tank, their deaths can really spike ammonia and cause issues. So a water change after the treatment period is always advisable.

• Like 2

Thanks JayC, it does say to do that but as I do weekly water changes anyway it wasn't something extra I had to do, but you are right to mention it. I didn't do a 50% water change at the end (as they recommend) of the week as I only ever saw maybe a dozen hydra so got it really early, I think I did a 20% water change!

Used it in April and not seen any hydra since and only treated the one time.

Simon

• Like 1

Whiles everyone is using chemical to kill the worms, whiles don't you just catch them, there are tools available to do this.