Purple Cherry Shrimp .....

BlueBolts

Selective breeding the purple will definitely take importance' date=' but will need to find a suitable partner, to kick start the program....well, that's where the fun/excitement begin's I guess. Have a friend coming over tomorrow, and we'll strip down 2-3 tanks to look for a suitable mate ![/quote']

Will be watching with bated breath man KUDOS :thumbup: encouragement +++

Cherries may not inspire me...but' date=' I'm a avid collector. BUT like the SW/GB rilli's, once I get a small colony going, I definitely would assist and encourage others to join with the breeding program, so that it becomes available to us all...[/quote']

Im with rosiedosie.... keep breeding :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Hey Bluebolts. Whats up with your purple cherries ? Did you find any marks of purple?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H815 met Tapatalk

On 17 January 2013 at 11:29 PM, BlueBolts said:

Sorry Chris, I'll never work on a Freo line....HUGE WCE fan, hate the dockers....as soon as the purple shrimp shows signs of white...I'm gonna nuke it. LOL

Great looking shrimp @BlueBolts congrats! Understand the Freo thing I'm trying to bred new colour into my CRS to CBlueS in support of the Kangaroos, LOL.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Any news from latest development progress ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby, so Google lead me to this forum.

Last night I found what looks like a purple Cherry! I've been in this hobby for all of 2 months, and haven't spent as many hours staring at my tank and it's inhabitants as I usually do lately, but I have red cherries, a berried yellow female, 5 blue shrimp that I'm unsure of sex, a little banana I think is a boy and 1 or 2 that look wild/low grade.

Anywho, I have no idea how this happened!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWB3P2M5k5LGCZJg9

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tara said:

I found what looks like a purple Cherry!

Welcome to the forum Tara.

Your shrimp looks purple alright. I wonder if it's a mix of the Red and Blue cherry.

Hope you have fun breeding more!

• Like 1

Thanks jayc! 

It's good to have another pair of eyes to verify the colour, I was really confused as a newbie, I didn't know purple existed and this little guy is starting to look like an oil slick! 

Gosh I love my shrimpies so much!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tara said:

I didn't know purple existed and this little guy is starting to look like an oil slick!

Now you will need a new tank for them all by themselves, so they keep breeding purple shrimps. This is how MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome) starts, and you suddenly go from 1 tank to 5 tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay it's funny you should say that, I have a much larger tank for free recently, I just have to pick it up and check that it can hold water before I can start getting it cycled.

I guess MTS has already started...

I am so unbelievably excited about the babies my shrimp had, and the big yellow one ready to have babies any day, but now I'm seeing much bigger possibilities!!

I really do wonder where the purple one came from, did it colour up after I got it or did I miss some Discovery channel stuff happening in my tank?! HAHAHA

• Like 1

Welcome Tara,

Do you have led lighting with some blue LEDs? I suspect that the shrimp that looks purple is probably a red reverting to wild, therefore poor quality of red and the blue leds make it look a bit purple. The marking on it as well make it look like it is a reverting to wild?

Unfortunately it is quite unlikely to turn out to be a purple cherry but it will be interesting to see what it ends up being!

I am very pleased to hear you are getting babies and berried shrimp, when they are newborn they are very very tiiny and often colourless so don't panic if you don't see them for a week or more once the eggs have hatched, and be extra careful when doing any water change or maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you ?

I do have a small 3w LED light that's attached to the back rim of the tank, but I only had my bedroom light on for the photos because one of my little blue guys is really jumpy and it was 11.30pm at night when I was twatting around because I couldn't sleep.

Anywho, I'm determined to get a better look so I can figure out just what the heck this shrimp actually looks like in natural light, so I've opened my blind and I'll be back to either stare at them or put my phone on a tripod and see if I can just record a nice long video to look back on.

I only have this from the same night I spotted the little guy- https://photos.app.goo.gl/5ndCQNiL9hWkMMNH8

I thought it would be impossible to have a purple Cherry because the blue shrimp are new, they joined the fam on the 10th Oct.

So strange. Also, why has nobody told me that Caridina Serrata stardust exist?! ???

I've become some kind of obsessive shrimp fiend in 2 months, no regrets!!

• Like 1

Ohh, I went back and watched my video again, my purple/blue sparkly phone cover is reflecting back on the glass, and you can tell I haven't quite got the hang of my Samsung camera yet ?

• Like 1

I'm obviously learning a lot as I go, so I can see my large Mystery snail is starting to look a bit calcium deficient.

I can't stop thinking about the mystery of the strange coloured shrimp. It looks to be older than my tank, maybe he's about 5 months old? Anyone else care to speculate?

The only thing I haven't done correctly was not quarantining my first live plants and the 5 new blue shrimp, which is how I got the second tiny snail...

But there's no way a baby or dropped egg could have hitchhiked and survived AND grew up to look purple or get my attention by looking genetically weird.

And why now after 2 months? 

Logically it has to be a shrimp reverting to wild.

What is happening in my tank?!? ??

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The blues and yellows are very pretty and great to see the shrimplets as well!

I am leaning towards the other shrimp may not even be a cherry shrimp at all (maybe some sort of river shrimp), but maybe some kind of native shrimp, especially if it is bigger and growing faster. It may be a low quality stardust but I don't see any 'stars' as such, unless they come later on when the shrimp is more mature? Normally I would suspect it to be an amano but it doesn't really look like one of those? I think you will just need to give it a bit more time and just enjoy watching!

I get the theory of blue and red makes purple but it isnt quite that simple with shrimps, mixing/crossing colours usually produces wild type boring (brown or clear) shrimps which is why many people keep only one colour in a tank, though even keeping just one colour requires culling to keep the colour good longer term! You will need to let them get to at least half full size though before you can decide on whicjh need to be removed!

The snail adds another dimension to the tank but they can become a nuisance, but with the small tank you have it shouldn't be too difficult to keep on top of that. Adding calcium to feed the snail may not be a good idea as it will change/increase the TDS and I think GH (?), I would hold off from doing that for now, it looks well enough to me? 

• Thanks 1

They really are so pretty!!

And I just got home from dinner with friends and my big yellow mama is no longer full of beady little eyes, so I have more babies floating around somewhere!!

I'm now going to dive into a google black hole and attempt to discover everything I possibly can about wild and river shrimp.

I'm so glad you said about the possibility of a different origin for that odd looking shrimp, because I believe after so many hours staring at my sweet little pals I've noticed that there seems to be small but destinct differences in the shrimp face/head, the antenna thingys (having a brain fart)

This really does get stranger and stranger, and of course the cheeky little bugger in question is nowhere to be seen today ?

Gosh the curiosity is maddening!!!

And my first Cherry's came from a store, the blue ones from Gumtree, so absolutely no special anything.

I'm also very appreciative of your advice with my snail, I can really over think things, and I'm used to seeing newbies getting ripped to shreds on Facebook.

I really appreciate how welcoming and knowledgeable the members here are.

• Like 2

With having only a small tank and lots of babies there may be some extras worth considering,

Indian almond leaves are good as biofilm grows on them which the shrimp harvest and they also help with water quality and shrimp health with the tanins they release. You can get small ones meant for nano tanks, or just cut up larger ones but just be sure they are from a reliable source as any pesticides would be disasterous for the shrimp!

Bacter AE helps produce biofilm which the shrimp harvest. It is a powder and the best way to use it is to dip a pin in the tank 5mm-10mm, then dip the pin in the powder quickly and knock off any excess by tapping it on the rim of the container. Then swirl the pin around the tank to spread out the powder. Do that twice a week!

Baby shrimp food(s) which are again a powder and applied as bacter AE above method, but every 2 days. There are many different makes so get whatever is readily available to you. It is important though not to overfeed (same with bacter AE) hence using the pin method is best - don't use as much as the manufacturers recommend, they have other motives for you using more than needed $$$$. Too much will polute the water.

If these products look expensive, bare in mind you will be using so little that they will last more than a year easily if normal pots of about 30g size are bought. Newly hatched shrimp are tiny and won't move far from where they are birthed for the first week or so and obviously the mother normally births them somewhere sheltered and safe so you may not see them for a while! I took a quick look on ebay.com.au and all these items are for sale readily on there if you don't have a local supplier!

I wouldn't  worry to much about the 'odd' shrimp, but if it gets too big it may be wise to remove it as it would likely out compete the smaller cherry shrimp for food, just enjoy watching it and see if it survives for now.

Hope you manage to see the new baby yellows soon.

Thanks for weighing in, because I asked at 2 different stores about the baby shrimp food and they insisted I didn't need it, so to avoid them I'll probably just order it online.

I've got Indian Almond leaves on my Gumtree watchlist, and I'll be sure to also buy what you've suggested, because I have had an idea of what I wanted to do and feel kinda undermined by the staff I spoke with at the store.

I'm also really happy with the suggestion of Bacter ae, I did get pretty overwhelmed with ways to generate biofilm and then the related searches and videos I started watching.

I'm going to switch my shopping list over to eBay, sounds much easier.

Super happy I hit the jackpot with the members here, thank you a million!!

Trying not to think about the odd shrimp and focus on the important things like not overfeeding my 15 or so adults and their babies!!

• Like 1