Shrimp and snail kill

zacsbee89

I wasn't sure where to post this but since it has to do with my shrimps health here will do (unless admin knows a more suitable place)

Now I know shrimp and snail killer don't mix, however I want to convert my 2ft planted community tank to a chilled shrimp tank. The problem is its full of snails. If I run snail kill through it and kill all snails now will this affect my shrimp in a couple of months time once the tank is converted?

Depends on what the active ingredient is in the snail killer. If its copper, wouldn't risk it. If its a molluscicide, maybe.

To be honest, you are probably better off tearing the tank down completely and restarting from scratch with shrimp in mind. Alternatively get a new tank and set it up for shrimp.

well i'll be tearing the tank down and starting with some form of shrimp sand. I bought bottle of seachem cupramine. apparently it stays in the water and doesnt leach into tank items or silicone. Ill empty the tank and treat a bare tank and will check copper readings after multiple waterchanges before stocking the tank

ever heard of Kondys crystals aka pottasium permangenate? it will kill them and any other bugs in the tank.

I recently sterilized my nano and everything in it from snails useing a warmer water aound 40+ and soaked plants and all for around half an hour. After setting it back up about half a dozen shrimplets had turned up!

Ahh sterilisation of the whole lot would be even better. What was the dosage you used? And do you get PP from chemist or pet shop?