Trouble with Ninja Shrimp

CCA001

Thanks in advance for any advice i am given :)

Here is a pic of my planted tank with Ninja shrimp in up untill about 4-5 weeks ago i had about 150-200 ninja shrimp in here it was crawling with them and the KIDS LOVED IT now i have about 20-30 left and cant spot any berried females :(

I had a thought the other day i hooked the CO2 unit back up (bottle filled again) after about 5mths of no CO2, would thi have caused them to start dropping off i only have about 1 bubble every 1-1 1/2 seconds.

IMG_3272_zps2e3d3891.jpg

it could be one of two reasons:

a) co2 drops your ph and if you have it on a timer your ph might fluctuate because you have something like a rock that may buffer the ph back up.

b) the co2 causes a decrease in oxygen in your water, if you dont have a air stone you may be suffocating your shrimp. if you have your co2 on a timer then at night time your plants absorb oxygen teamed up with the already lack of oxygen during the period when the co2 is on it could result in fatalities.

thats all i can think of at the moment.

Yes C02 is on a timer to be on when the lights are on.

I also have the NEW ADA Amazonia as the soil so that may buffer it back up over night but i have checked PH at certain times to find it hasnt dropped to much.

Going to try and catch all the shrimp out and put into the new setup in a few days as im running really low on them now :(

Anyone in perth have some for sale (please PM ) that i could grab as i feel bad for my daughter who keeps asking were all her shrimp have gone :(

for the time being i can only recommend you put an airstone in and if you want to be extra cautious turn off your co2 completely.

i have plenty of ninjas - cheap for you too!!! just a drive up to the hills :) plenty of females pre loaded with eggs as well.... maybe interest you in some reds/yellows too while your here!!! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.