How to pick healthy caridinas at the fish store

jojowhisky

Hello everybody!!

I am about to make a trip down to the fish stores to hopefully pick some crystals to replenish my first tank that i started(the 16litre).

It is very stablized right now and houses the bloody marys and 2 surviving crystals.

The bloody marys have acclimated to the parameters nicely since the majority of them are juvi shrimps that have been birthed in this caridina parameters.

My question is, what are some of the things you guys look out for when picking out caridinas?

I would appreciate some pointers as previously i was busy trying to get my parameters right and the basics of doing good water changes so i have not been buying new shrimps. But since now im ready to get some crystals, i realized i need more input on how you guys spot good shrimp quality.

Things have been going great with the temps of both shrimp tanks, they range at 21 to 23°c. Tds is kept at 200 for the yellows and 180 for the crystal/bloody mary tank.

Currently have got 2 berried yellow mamas, she must have hatched all of her babies wen i was in japan coz now i see two berried mamas and plenty of small friends swimming around.

So very happy.

I foresee culling in this tank soon, as it is only a 10litre and i did not expect the population to be increasing when i started this tank.

Again, thank you to everyone here that helped so much in my learning process.

The shrimps that i hatched artifically have grown to a considerable size as well after i came back, saw 2 in an adolescent size? I assume they are from that batch.

Regards,

Jo

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good to see you back and great that everything is going well now.

Usually you should try and get juveniles as they are better at adjusting to new water parameters, but that is assuming they have juveniles, which they may not! You can't tell whether they are male or female at this stage though. If they have adults you can choose how many of each you want (if my memory serves correct the 2 you have left were males??? but I can't find the photo/post-my bad) but as long as you have some of each sex I am sure that your setup is now settled/constant enough that they will quickly breed (they aren't as prolific breeders as cherry shrimp though, smaller groups of babies and they don't reproduce until 6 months old). The only other thing you can look at really that I know about is whether they are lively/active, with good solid colouring. As you already have plenty of shrimp keeping success I think you can safely rely on your own judgement in that respect? Others may have more advice? Mine have always come in the post so I didn't get to pick them?

They are a bit more sensitive/delicate so slower drip acclimatise them than the neos.

Look forward to hearing/seeing what happens next!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi simon!
Yep you are correct. You helped identify those 2 crystals to be male.
Well, i highly doubt im gonna be able to get juveniles here, they mostly sell adults.
Also, i do not really know how to tell male from female yet. Have watched a video you shared with me on how to sex them but i still lack that area of ability for some reason. (Schooling myself more on this)
Will take note of what you mentioned and look out for lively ones.
Thanks for the information on them breeding slower. I had thought they would have the same prolific breeding capabilities like the neos.
Will drip acclimate them real slow. I just remembered how sensitive they are when you mentioned it to me.
Fingers crossed!
Jo

• Like 1

If you are allowed to pick the shrimps yourself, then pick all the females (since you already have a couple of males).

Good solid colouring, check for genetic defects, active ... I can't think of any thing else.

Bring your TDS meter with you to test their water parameters. If you have a pH pen bring that too.

It's best to know what water the new shrimps come from so you can tailor acclimation to their water params. 

• Like 2

Hmmm went to the fish store to take a look at their livestock of crystals.
Did not like what i saw, lots of dead ones in the tank and some had the creepy planaria in it??!!?! (This slimy friend still creeps me out)
Decided to go with a guy that takes his shrimps from a breeder. My yellow neos came from him and i remembered the water it came in was good.
He sent me a photo of the guys.
Hope all goes well.
Picking them up on monday.853b2fe603627771563273aa8b3257e0.jpg

Hope all goes well with getting the new shrimps, those in the picture look great.

Perhaps watch the video on telling the differences between male and female shape just before you go? If you are getting them from a breeder he can probably  tell which are which for you anyway!

You were very wise to stay away from unhealthy shrimps from a tank with 'planaria', that could have been a BIG mistake????

Simon

• Like 1

You think those look ok?
Well, if you think they do, they are probably good.
Im really excited to be collecting them on monday!! Have not had crystals back in my main tank for a long time ever since the last colony was wiped out*sad*
Hope they make good company for the last remaining two in here.
Yes i will watch that video again later tonight, need to really school myself on how to sex shrimps.
Jo