How to...RO/DI here at last, so how do i make the water fabulous?

jojowhisky

Hi all,

My rodi system is here, decided to go with a simpler one. (Saw jayc's and decided to go with a simpler model without all the parts looking like they came from NASA)

TDS is indeed oooppm.

Question i have here is how do i now prepare the water for shrimps? Would like to know how everyone is doing it?

Draw water out into a pail and than how much salty bee do you guys add?

Do i just keep adding till it reaches my target tds?

Got the 125g coz my tanks are small.

Cheers,

Jo

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I assume all is going well with the new setups?

I would use TDS meter (thats how I do it) to get the near number as it is a lot easier than trying to get a GH and the salty shrimp must be balance for both anyway. If you are making a small amount of new water you could try the wet a pin/stick method (as previously mentioned for food). I use the dennerle equivalent as it is much simpler being liquid drops. You will soon get to know how much you need (I know 1 drop of my stuff is roughly TDS25).If you go over you can always dilute it with a bit more pure RO water.

JayC previously mentioned a tap on the RO devises which adjusts KH if I remember correctly so you will need to have that open or closed depending on which you want for the different types of shrimp I assume?

You will need pure RO for topping up evaporated water between water changes etc and I just keep a couple of 1L used water bottles next to the tank with that in.

Good luck with it and I hope all is going well.

Simon 

• Like 1

Hi simon!
Yes all is going great! No dead shrimps and i think i am getting a hang on things over here? No deaths after water changes too!
You know what? I think a part of the reason is the cooler temps now that i have the ac switched on 24hrs. They really do better without the heat.
My tetra tank finished cycling today! Will do a big water change tmwr.

Noted on the way you prepare water for the tanks. So if i go over a little too much, i can just dilute it with more ro water correct?
I just bought a cannister of salty shrimp gh+
Will finish my shirakura gh fluid first than will switch over to salty bee.
These are exciting times!
Yep will also keep a few bottles of pure ro water around for water top ups, great idea!
Im just playing around with the ro unit abit as i still have 4 cartons of distilled water left.
Just wanna get an idea of how you guys prepare your ro water.
Thank you simon as always for the detailed input!

• Like 1

Exciting news that the neons may be in their new home this weekend, hope that goes well and they will enjoy the new setup. Hope you are seeing some of the yellow babies you hatched.

I have been doing my Taiwan Bee tank today so been filtering and mixing water. Sometimes I go over the desired TDS a bit but just to keep it tidy I put a little extra pure RO in the new water and that reduces it, little at a time until you get to the figure you are aiming for. If you still have the spreadsheet I downloaded you can tell on that what will happen, ie my tank (28L) this morning TDS 164, replaced 2L with new water of TDS 119, should make it TDS 160 when water mixed/finished later.

I have been reading up on here and lots of people seem to think Taiwan Bee shrimps stop breeding during the winter. I haven't seen any new new babies so hopefully that is correct and that will then help with the over population temporarily anyway.

Pleased to hear it is all going so well for you now.

Simon

• Like 1

Exciting news that the neons may be in their new home this weekend, hope that goes well and they will enjoy the new setup. Hope you are seeing some of the yellow babies you hatched.
I have been doing my Taiwan Bee tank today so been filtering and mixing water. Sometimes I go over the desired TDS a bit but just to keep it tidy I put a little extra pure RO in the new water and that reduces it, little at a time until you get to the figure you are aiming for. If you still have the spreadsheet I downloaded you can tell on that what will happen, ie my tank (28L) this morning TDS 164, replaced 2L with new water of TDS 119, should make it TDS 160 when water mixed/finished later.
I have been reading up on here and lots of people seem to think Taiwan Bee shrimps stop breeding during the winter. I haven't seen any new new babies so hopefully that is correct and that will then help with the over population temporarily anyway.
Pleased to hear it is all going so well for you now.
Simon
Im so pleased to see that all seems to be stablizing as well, thank you for all the help here.
Yes i use the spreadsheet you gave for figuring out my water changes? And because of that now i am very clear of what i am doing.
Its such a good way to keep track of what i did to the water and than the results.
I am excited for tomorrow as the tetras will be going into the new tank!
Sadly i cant really see the babies in the yellow neo tank. Just saw 2 came out to feed yesterday. The mortality was not good? Wondered if they all died or as what you mentioned they are just hiding? Well, heres to hoping!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jojowhisky said:

Im so pleased to see that all seems to be stablizing as well, thank you for all the help here.
Yes i use the spreadsheet you gave for figuring out my water changes? And because of that now i am very clear of what i am doing.
Its such a good way to keep track of what i did to the water and than the results.
I am excited for tomorrow as the tetras will be going into the new tank!
Sadly i cant really see the babies in the yellow neo tank. Just saw 2 came out to feed yesterday. The mortality was not good? Wondered if they all died or as what you mentioned they are just hiding? Well, heres to hoping!

Always pleased to help anyone that I may be able too. A lot of posts are way beyond my experience or knowledge so I have to leave those to others!

I expect there are more yellow babies alive than you know about as they would naturally hide when young. I remember when I transferred to the new tank and took out all the plants I had bout 100 babies but only saw about 10 at a time.

Hope the neon transfer goes well.

Simon 

• Like 1

I will probably upload a photo of them swimming about in their new tank tomorrow afternoon yes?
Than we will really count them again, i still have 9 however i count them.

• Like 1

You may want to try remineralizing to 130-150 TDS and then check the GH of the water. If you want it higher, add more minerals.

I had a berried YKK for several weeks, then she wasn't berried. The eggs never looked ready to hatch and I looked for a couple of days, never saw any babies. Did a huge water change and a day or two later I've seen at least 2. Been able to spot at least 1 newborn shrimp since. They are just about or under a week old. Have a few older Bloody Mary in there, too of a couple different ages.

• Like 1

Hi@zoidburg,
Ok will note on how to go about remineralizing the rodi water.

Ah i must be over worrying, going by what simon and you said, them baby shrimps could just be hiding in the vegetation.
I guess i will see them when i see them, when the time is right.

Cheers,
Jo

• Like 2